What’s the Buzz: A look inside GSU’s Radio Station

• Photo credit to Kiara Griffin

Rachel Kelso and Carlton Taylor

WVGS 91.9 The Buzz has been serving Georgia Southern’s campus for several years now. The radio station began broadcasting in 1974 and was originally located in the Williams Center, but has since moved to Sanford Hall, according to Mikalah Guyton, WVGS station manager and junior film and production major.

The gigantic metal structure outside of the Williams Center is not only for visual appeal. It’s the antenna that allows the on-campus radio station to work its magic through the airwaves of Eagle Nation.

With 12 different genres of music ranging from 90’s throwbacks and top-40 hits to country and hip-hop, the radio station provides entertainment for all students, faculty and staff, no matter their musical preference.

“It’s really hard to find one channel that plays everything,” Tatyana Cray, freshman business major, said. “It’s a great thing that [The Buzz is providing] more variety of music.”

The Buzz is not just for music, either. There are currently 27 shows that play throughout a week’s span. According to Guyton, the radio always tries to be involved with the community. They can promote events for free and have live broadcasts for on-campus or off-campus events.

“I feel like [students] should know it’s a good way… to know what’s going on on-campus,” Chris Zenn, a radio co-host for the ‘Chris and Aaron Show’, said.

Zenn, a sophomore double-major in art and fashion, along with Aaron Keenan, a sophomore multimedia communications major, have both benefited from their experiences with the radio station. As co-hosts of the “Chris and Aaron Show,” they primarily talk about pop culture and play rap music.

Starting off as YouTube personalities, Zenn and Keenan have been able to rebrand themselves by tying their YouTube channel in with their Monday night radio show.

“It helps you become more comfortable with speaking, telling how you feel [and] working with other people,” Zenn said.

Getting involved is not as hard as you may think. If you are interested in broadcasting or radio, then The Buzz is for you. Show applications open during the first month of each semester to any faculty member or student.

For more information, check out 91.9’s website, http://919thebuzz.wix.com/thebuzzz, or stop by on the first floor of Sanford Hall.