The ‘Rent Takeover

Araya Jackson

It’s like orientation all over again. A swarm of parents and siblings running all around, overly involved in each little thing happening on campus, all the while you’re trying to act as normal as normal can be for a college student at Georgia Southern. Parents Weekend is upon us.

For some, this is an awesome weekend to bond with your family. You get to show them our beautiful campus, take them to some of your favorite places for happy hour and they get the opportunity to feel the overwhelmingly exciting atmosphere at Paulson Stadium. Plus you get paid for dinners, a fridge full of food and maybe even some extra cash in your own pocket.

For others, this weekend actually blows. Maybe your parents are on the stricter side and you’re dreading it because you know it will be a weekend of hiding your actual lifestyle and staying sober. Maybe it’s because your parents aren’t going to be here in the first place and you’re stuck in an over populated Statesboro around your friend’s families. If you fall into one of those categories, just know you’re not alone. Take this time to bond with your friends who also don’t have the fam coming or be adopted by your roomies parents for the weekend.

If you’re reading this and you had no idea Parents Weekend was this coming up weekend, it’s a little too late to invite mom and pops now. However, if your parent’s already have the weekend cleared and the hotel booked, make sure you have a game plan so this weekend will run as smoothly as possible. Know what’s going to be where at what time, to avoid as much stress as you can. Even though stress on a weekend like this is inevitable.

The festivities start on Friday with check-in at the Russell Union ballroom from 4 p.m.-9 p.m. This is where you’ll receive the things included with the package you got for your family, like the game tickets, t-shirts and other materials. While this is going on, there will simultaneously be a silent auction where you can view items and place your bids. The auction will continue Saturday from 9 a.m.-1 p.m. and winners will be announced at 1:30 p.m. They are actually auctioning off some pretty sweet items, from everything GSU, a football signed by the legend Willie Fritz himself, travel and attraction deals, gift cards and a lot more. The money collected will go towards student leadership scholarships. Following this, from 6 p.m.-8 p.m., will be the Family Weekend Kick-Off Block Party at the University Store Plaza. There will be free food, music, and free giveaways. The night will end with an outside showing of “Jurassic World” at 9 p.m. on Sweetheart Circle.

For Saturday’s agenda, besides the continuing of the silent auction and a Parent & family Association General Membership Meeting (that’s a mouthful) is the pre-game tailgate from 3:30 p.m.-5:30 p.m. Food, entertainment, corn hole, other games and much more all at the RAC Pavilion. Please park at the Performing Arts Center (PAC) or the Russell Union and ride the Transit System to the RAC. Make sure the fam has their Family Weekend ticket with them. Our Georgia Southern Eagles will take on The Citadel at 6 p.m. at Paulson Stadium, the prettiest little stadium in America of course.

There will also be many other events happening around campus that you and your family can attend. The Mainstreet Statesboro Farmer’s Market will be Saturday morning starting at 9 a.m. and the GS Women’s Volleyball team has games Friday and Saturday. There will also be informational sessions, Planetarium evening, access to the RAC, golf course, and museum, plus many more. Simply go to the Georgia Southern University website for more information and times.

If this is your first Family Weekend, try to make the most of it and party on with your parents. Show them how awesome Statesboro is, bring them to tailgates on row or Robinhood with your friends so they can re-experience the college life and send them away Sunday morning confident they made a good choice sending you here. Also know that this will probably be your last Parents Weekend as well, because you’ll realize that it’s something you never want to go through again.