Multicultural Student Center Assistant Director Terminated

• Chris “Big Chris” Pugh has been removed from his positions within the Multicultural Student Center. Details of his removal are unknown at this time. 

Chris Rossmann and Macy Holloway

Assistant Director of the Multicultural Student Center (MSC) and Minority Advisement Program (MAP) coordinator Chris Pugh has been terminated from his post, The George-Anne confirmed earlier this week.

Pugh, known by students as “Big Chris,” worked with minority students and helped to place MAP sponsors with underclassmen to serve as mentors and friends.

“I worked with Chris for over three years and he is what it means to be student centered,” said Dr. Consuela Ward, previous MSC director who hired Pugh in 2009. 

According to the Termination of Employment letter, provided through an open records request, Pugh received noticed on Monday, April 6. The letter, written by Mrs. Dorsey Baldwin, Director for the Multicultural Student Center, stated that action was necessitated in accordance to his “gross insubordination of failing to follow through” on various professional occasions. 

The most recent of which was his unprofessional handling of the Graduate Assistant’s hiring process which occurred last month. 

“Your behavior in the graduate assistant hiring process was unethical, insubordinate, unprofessional, and deceptive. These characteristics are not acceptable behavior of a professional staff member in this office,” Baldwin said in the letter. 

Several specific instances of insubordination were stated as examples and in December of 2013 Pugh received a formal warning regarding his lack of follow through and failure to meet deadlines. 

Christopher Pugh declined comment on the situation at this time. 

Baldwin declined to comment about the matter when reached by The George-Anne.