Highs and lows for the Eagles in Statesboro

Derik Wuchte

Georgia Southern men’s tennis went 1-1 this weekend with a win over Alabama State University and a loss against Kennesaw State University.

Senior Albert Codina Sala was the only Eagle able to secure a win against both teams. He and sophomore Christian Kerrigan obtained victories in the 2-5 loss to Kennesaw State while almost the entire team found wins against Alabama State in the near-sweep victory of 6-1.

Kennesaw State

Some matches against Kennesaw State were in close contention. Losing the doubles point early set the Eagles back. Sophomore Nico de Groof and junior Ristomatti Lanne were unable to pull out the win in a 7-5 defeat to Kennesaw State’s sophomore Jake Bouchillon and freshman Manuel Castellanos. The team of Kerrigan and Codina Sala also could not find victory in their 6-4 loss to sophomore Simon Pritchard and freshman Alejandro Valencia.

For singles, Lanne, in the No. 1 spot, was defeated by Pritchard 6-4, 6-3. Senior Kyle Hoffman, in the No. 2 spot, also lost a close one to Valencia 6-3, 6-4. In the No. 4 spot, Codina Sala took his win against sophomore David Durham 6-1, 6-4. Kerrigan won over Castellanos in the No. 3 match 6-4, 4-6, 6-1.

Alabama State

Alabama State proved to be an entirely new meet. Doubles play started off strong when Hoffman and freshman Jose Landin won in a quick 6-2 set. Lanne and de Groof followed with a 6-2 victory of their own. To take all three doubles matches, Kerrigan and Codina Sala took a 6-2 win, giving the Eagles the team point.

Once again taking the No. 1 spot was Lanne. In a decisive match against freshman Patrik Cvik, Lanne won 6-0, 6-1. Codina Sala in the No. 4 spot defeated freshman Karlo Skvorc 6-3, 6-1. To follow them was junior Daniel Casablancas having victory over sophomore Digivijay Naruka in the No. 6 spot 6-3, 6-0.

Hoffman in the No. 3 spot secured a close win against sophomore Takura Mlambo 7-6, 6-2, and Landin defeated junior Jarred Thompson in the No. 5 spot 6-1, 6-1. Kerrigan was the only one unable to find victory against Alabama State on Sunday.

Men’s tennis will be back on the courts Saturday, Jan. 31 as they play away at Florida Atlantic University.