Men’s tennis season opener

Derik Wuchte

Georgia Southern men’s tennis opened its season with a 1-6 loss against a tough No. 75 nationally ranked Georgia Tech team. Junior Ristomatti Lanne was able to score the only point for the Eagles in the No. 1 spot match against senior Eduardo Segura, 1-6, 7-5, 6-1.

Senior Kyle Hoffman fell to Freshman Christopher Eubanks in the No. 2 spot match 2-6, 1-6. At the No. 3 spot, senior Albert Codina Sala was unable to win against freshman Michael Kay as he lost 2-6, 2-6. Sophomore Christian Kerrigan, freshman Jose Eduardo Landin Lopez and Nico de Groof were also defeated in their No. 4, No. 5 and No. 6 spot matches, respectively.

In doubles, Hoffman and Landin Lopez saw their three-win streak from fall come to an end against Segura and Sophomore Carlos Benito as they lost in their 3-6 set. Kerrigan and Codina Sala also could not obtain victory against redshirt junior Casey Kay and sophomore Cole Fiegal as they were beat 3-6. With the doubles point already decided for Georgia Tech, the team of Lanne and de Groof did not finish their match against Kay and Eubanks.

The Eagles have their next meet at home in the Wallis Tennis Center on Saturday, January 24. They will take on Kennesaw State at 12 p.m.