The future of GS football is here

Hayden Boudreaux

There are only two weeks left in the recruiting season and head coach Willie Fritz is out feverishly recruiting new stars to add to the defending Sun Belt Champions.

After this season, fans know we are set for the next few years at the quarterback position, but it never hurts to prepare for the future. Fritz had this view as he recruited Cumming, Ga. native Hampton McConnell, a dual-threat quarterback. McConnell was one of the best assets for West Forsyth High School as he passed for just over 1700 yards and 15 touchdowns, including a 92-yard bomb. His talent with his legs made him the second leading rusher for his team with 483 rushing yards and 13 scores on the ground.

McConnell has a 6’3″ 197-pound frame that will make a good fit for a Division I quarterback. He has a good release and has the ability to move around in the pocket. His 4.53 speed helped him evade defenders at the high school level, and it will be interesting to see him adapt to the the college speed.

With Ellison and Upshaw having two years of eligibility remaining, it would not be surprising to see the up-coming freshman red-shirted to learn behind two great dual-threat quarterbacks. McConnell attracted a lot of interest, including offers from Boston College, App State and Middle Tennessee State. He gave his commitment to play for the Eagles in June before the season kicked off.

Fritz has recruited a ton of talent on defense, especially in the defensive backfield. Jay Bowdry was recruited to join the developing defense to be a force for the future. He played both ways for Thomasville at receiver and safety. His senior year he had 120 receiving yards and two touchdowns along with duties as a returner.

Bowdry spent the majority of his time on defense, racking up 62 solo tackles and 101 total tackles. He had a knack for finding loose footballs with five fumble recoveries and three interceptions.

Watching his tapes, one thing is apparent on nearly every play: his closing speed. He has great vision into the backfield and can sniff out plays that are slow to develop. Bowdry is a heavy hitter that is not afraid to sacrifice his body to make a play.

There is a lot of potential for him to come in and be a play maker immediately on special teams and possibly work his way into a defensive position as a freshman. He also garnered his share of attention and received offers from Indiana, Duke and App State before he committed to Georgia Southern in mid-December.