Season opener was a success: Eagles dominate the Hornets at home

Derik Wuchte

In the first meet of the spring semester, Georgia Southern women’s tennis won big at Wallis Tennis Center as they beat Alabama State University 6-1.

Several Eagles had a great day such as senior Jordana Klein and freshman Anne Kurzweil with their wins in singles. Nearly the entire team did as well in the decisive team win for the Eagles.

The doubles point went in the Eagles’ favor as Klein and her teammate, sophomore Giulia Riepe, won their No. 3 match 6-0. Junior Francisca Norregaard and sophomore Daria Vasekina followed the two with their win at the No. 2 spot in a 6-1 victory, earning the Eagles the team point.

Klein at the No. 1 spot, going against junior Arantxia Wijnhaarde, set the tempo for singles. Her 6-2, 6-0 win put the Eagles on the right path for victory. Kurzweil in the No. 3 match faced sophomore Irina Cvijovic. She also came out with a big 6-1, 6-4 victory.

Riepe took the No. 5 spot win over sophomore Matabe Akoachere 6-2, 6-1. In the No. 6 match, Norregaard defeated junior Brianna Fairley 6-3, 6-1. To finish the meet up, for the No. 5 singles victory, Vasekina took victory over sophomore Brankica Orlovic 3-6, 6-1, 10-5. Junior Mary Phillips Smith was the only Eagle not to find victory in her 1-6, 5-7 loss to sophomore Marine Cartier.

The Eagles are able to appreciate a currently undefeated season after this weekend. They will put their single win to the test as they take on their next opponent at home in the Wallis Tennis Center against Mercer University on Saturday, Jan. 31.