Staff Predictions: The 2016 GRAMMY Awards

We are in full swing of award show season, and it’s time for music’s biggest night. The GRAMMYs are tonight and a lot of artists are up to take home some trophies. We asked our staff for their predictions of what’s going to go down tonight in the battlefield of music.

Record of the Year

Jeff:

“Blank Space” – Taylor Swift

As much as I would like to think that anything is possible at this year’s award show, I have a feeling tonight is going to be the T-Swift show. This song is hilarious and the way she performs this tune is intoxicating. It makes us all channel our crazy-ex-lover and we can’t deny how much we love it.

Yasmeen:

“Can’t Feel My Face” – The Weeknd

It hurts to put this in text, but I can’t deny how well this song was produced and presented. Overall, it rocked everyone’s socks off and showed that The Weeknd has come a long way since “Wicked Games” and he has the potential to make some upbeat music in addition to seductive R&B.

Album of the year

Jeff:

1989 – Taylor Swift

Again, I wish I wasn’t on the Taylor Swift train, but this album is stacked with supremely catchy songs and the writing on them isn’t that bad either. There’s decent variety in pop styles and the album is simply addicting.

Yasmeen:

Sound & Color – Alabama Shakes

I have this eerie feeling that despite how much Alabama Shakes DESERVES it, Taylor Swift might swoop in and grab this award as always. But anyways, Sound & Color literally defines a good album. Alabama Shakes is always changing the game and I dig that this album brought out every emotion in the book. With songs like Dunes, Future People, Gimme All Your Love, and Don’t Wanna Fight; the vibes were electrifying. The feels were contagious. THIS IS WHAT GOOD MUSIC SOUNDS LIKE.

Song of the Year

Jeff:

“Thinking Out Loud” – Ed Sheeran

As grossly overplayed as this song was, it’s a beauty. Also, I think it has nice mass appeal without being overly robotic pop music.

Yasmeen:

“Blank Space” – Taylor Swift

When someone so intently devoted to not jumping on the Taylor Swift bandwagon falls victim to the catchiness of Swift’s hit song, it is obvious that it deserves an award. I hate to admit it, but this sassy song is an anthem for doing whatever the hell you want when it comes to lust and screwing people’s expectations and assumptions.

Best New Artist

Jeff:

Tori Kelly

We have all been sleeping on Tori Kelly for too damn long. Her VMA performance was ICONIC and her voice is stunning. I think she has the vocals and just enough following to earn it. No, Tori Kelly deserves it.

Yasmeen:

Courtney Barnett

It is about time the GRAMMYs acknowledge someone with a distinct sound that doesn’t contribute to the overrated pop genre that pleases people WAY too easily. Barnett’s dry, seemingly effortless vocals mixed with hints of blues in the music makes for several satisfying tracks. Her first album is refreshing amongst the shallowness of most new artists.

Best Pop Solo Performance

Jeff:

“Can’t Feel My Face” – The Weeknd

If I had a dollar for every time I TTFU to this song in the car, I would be able to buy all of the tickets to The Weeknd’s next concert. It’s contagious. It’s fun. It’s everything your pregame could have ever wanted.

Yasmeen:

“Can’t Feel My Face” – The Weeknd

I bet this song is being played by a million different people in hundreds of different places every minute. It’s catchy, relatable, and a party starter. Its also overplayed, “but I love it, but I love it, oh!”

Best Pop Duo/Group Performance

Jeff:

“Bad Blood” – Taylor Swift Featuring Kendrick Lamar

Maybe it was just the star-studded music video, but this song (exclusively the version with Kendrick) is absolutely fire. Their performance of this song is stellar.

Yasmeen:

“Ship To Wreck” – Florence + The Machine

Yes, yes, yes! This song is just a celebration of all things good so it needs to be celebrated with an award.

Best Dance/ Electronic Album

Jeff:

In Colour – Jamie xx

I think I may be biased in this selection, but The xx are one of my favorite groups of all time. I got nervous when I heard Jamie running off on his own, but “Loud Places” is at least three of my Spotify playlists.

Yasmeen:

Skrillex & Diplo Present Jack Ü

This is a hard one. I loved Jamie xx’s album, In Colour, but Skrillex & Diplo Present Jack Ü was a smart move for the constantly evolving EDM scene. This magical collab gave birth to an album that defied ordinary with new sounds across the electronic spectrum. These tracks brought people together, both on and off the dance floor.

Best Rock Performance

Jeff:

“Don’t Wanna Fight”Alabama Shakes

When I think about Best ______  Performance, I try to consider what invokes the most emotion. Alabama Shakes’ performance of this track is not only emotional, but it’s the closest thing to catching the spirit I have ever experienced.

Yasmeen:

“Don’t Wanna Fight” – Alabama Shakes

I agree with Jeff on the emotion statement. I saw this performed live and it is no doubt, an incredible jam. Not to mention, the aesthetic of this performance is FLAWLESS. There is something to be said about a badass chick with a powerful voice wearing a prom dress and a fur coat and jamming out on a blue electric guitar.

Best Rock Song

Jeff:

“Ex’s & Oh’s” – Elle King

Elle King really ended up with a masterpiece on this one. Seriously, if my roommates haven’t gotten this song stuck in their heads from me singing it in the shower, they will after she wins this GRAMMY.

Yasmeen:

“Don’t Wanna Fight” – Alabama Shakes

Can Alabama Shakes please just win everything tonight?! Alright, simply put, without blues there wouldn’t be rock. And Brittany Howard’s fiery vocals are the essence of that emotional, blues-charged sound Alabama Shakes is all about. And “Don’t Wanna Fight” is the perfect example of that.

Best Rap Performance

Jeff:

“Trap Queen” – Fetty Wap

Now, whether or not “Trap Queen” is a work of art is not up for debate here. The fact is, Fetty Wap had everybody singing, “hey, what’s up, hello” for weeks on end. Seriously, the song is still in my head as I write this.

Yasmeen:

“Trap Queen” – Fetty Wap

Every year, there is “that song”, you know, that song that is referenced in EVERYTHING. This year that song was “Trap Queen”. We pregamed to it. We played it to get pumped up before class. DJs across America loved to play with it and mix it up. Celebrities released videos dancing to it. Even my friends changed their phone passwords to “1738.” Needless to say, Fetty Wap deserves this reward.

Best Alternative Music Album

Jeff:

Sound & Color – Alabama Shakes

This album is diverse and solid. There truly aren’t any bad songs, so I think it’s definitely a competitor.

Yasmeen:

The Waterfall – My Morning Jacket

It’s no surprise that My Morning Jacket killed it again with this album. Somehow, their progressive yet mellow-ish sound is always effectively intense. There are really no artists similar to MMJ. Every song on this album was a success and no two songs were alike. Not only that, but there is a certain depth in this album’s songs that captivates me. My favorites are “Compound Fracture”, “In Its Infancy (The Waterfall)”, and “Believe (Nobody Knows).”

Best R&B Performance

Jeff:

“Earned It (Fifty Shades Of Grey)” The Weeknd

Sex. This song is pure SEX. If you don’t feel ~something~ when you’re listening to this song, no matter what your preference is, you might need to get checked out. The Weeknd’s performance is beautiful and dreamy. Don’t let the Fifty Shades of Grey connection confuse you. This is romance at its finest.

Yasmeen:

“Planes”Jeremih ft J. Cole

“Baby-makin’ music” typically isn’t my thing, but this was my jam! With a clean, subtle sound, “Planes” was tasteful and catchy without being too much. Jerimih’s voice was just perfect, not to mention J. Cole’s bangin’ rap solo to pull it all together. “You nasty, oh, oh, you nasty” is forever stuck in my head.

Best Rap Album

Jeff:

To Pimp a Butterfly – Kendrick Lamar

I’m not an expert in this category, so I’m just going to retweet what Yasmeen goes with.

Yasmeen:

To Pimp a Butterfly- Kendrick Lamar

For too long, the world needed an intellectual West Coast rapper and now we have him and couldn’t imagine the rap genre void of his style and depth. There comes a time in every popular rapper’s career when he/she decides to experiment with some groundbreaking sound, either succeeding immensely or failing miserably. For Kanye, it was 808 & Heartbreak. For Weezy, it was Rebirth. For Kendrick, it is To Pimp a Butterfly. With this album, he did something no current rapper has done. He dove into the realms of jazz and it was EPIC. Kendrick Lamar really pushed boundaries with this album and creates art in doing so. It may not be the rap album you turn up to, but it’s worth a listen nonetheless.

Best Dance Recording

Jeff:

“Runaway (U&I)”

Like I said, music should invoke some serious emotion. When I listen to this song, I feel the need to open all of the windows of my car and blare it driving down I-16. Brb, I’m going to Savannah.

Yasmeen:

“Runaway (U & I)”

I’m with Jeff on this one. When this song comes on, I want to runaway (to the club) with a stranger and never come back. If you have ever turned down the volume when this song is on, you are not invited to any dance party of mine!

Feature photo courtesy of Grammy.com

Jeff Licciardello

Jeff is a junior Public Relations major from Kennesaw, Ga. As a cringey millennial, he spends his free time in Starbucks arguing how Britney Spears can’t have a comeback if she never left and exclusively communicates through the phrases ‘retweet’ and ‘can you not.’ He is the Editor-in-Chief. You can find him whining about the cloudy future on Twitter @jeff_licciard.

Yasmeen Waliaga

Yasmeen is a junior Journalism major and Photography minor from Alpharetta, Georgia. She spends her days celebrating tiny victories, freely making reckless decisions, creating playlists for every occasion, and impulsively purchasing funky platforms. With the assistance of cheap champagne and markers, she writes to share her thoughts no matter how obscure or inappropriate. She is the Reflector Online Editor. Keep up with her escapades and opinions on Twitter @yasmeenwallee