10 Valuable Things "How I Met Your Mother" Taught Us

As the title suggests, this is the story of how the main character, Ted, meets his wife. But it’s so much more than that. Ted and his friends go through a lot in the story and become better people by the end. Everything—the good things and the bad things—that happens in the series gets Ted to exactly where he needs to be. Here are 10 valuable quotes from the show that we can take with us throughout our lives.  

1. “Nothing good happens after 2 a.m.”

So, if you get the “you up?” text at 3 a.m., just turn off your phone and go to bed. You’ll thank yourself later.

2. “Somewhere along the line, I forgot to pursue my dream and now I’m old and I’m a mom and it’s just too late for me.”

Don’t let life get in the way of you pursuing your dream. It’s so easy to push it off to the side or wait. But, before you know it, so much time will have passed. Don’t let it be too late一do what makes you happy now.

3. “We gotta wait for the real thing, no matter how tough it gets.”

Everyone gets lonely, and it can be really hard. It’s important not to settle for second best. As seen in the show, something truly amazing is just around the corner.

4. “You may think your only choices are to swallow your anger or throw it in someone’s face, but there’s a third option: You can just let it go, and only when you do that is it really gone and you can move forward”

Swallowing your anger and letting it go are two different things. Letting go and forgiveness play hand-in-hand. It’s something that is said a lot, but it’s true: forgiving someone sets you free. Not only do you become the bigger person, but you also can move on with your life and feel at peace.

5. “That’s how it goes kids. The friends, neighbors, drinking buddies, and partners in crime you love so much when you’re young, as the years go by, you just lose touch. You will be shocked, kids, when you discover how easy it is in life to part ways with people forever. That’s why, when you find someone you want to keep around, you do something about it.”

Growing up is a part of life. We meet new people all the time. We make some friends, and we lose some. But, when you find someone who is very important, you have to fight to keep them in your life, because it’s so easy to drift apart. Do your best to hang onto the people that matter.

6. “In marriage, being right is less important than being supportive. Remember: Happy wife equals happy life”

This can go for most relationships in your life: friendships, spouses, significant others, family. Sometimes, even if your brain is screaming that the person is making a bad choice, you need to be supportive. Of course, it’s important to have a conversation if you think someone is doing something wrong or making a bad decision, but you can’t be so overly aggressive about it that you end up losing or hurting them.

7. “If you’re not scared, then you’re not taking a chance. And if you’re not taking a chance, then what the hell are you doing anyway?”

It’s so easy to succumb to fear and not take chances. However, the scariest things can be the most important.

8. “There are a lot of little reasons why the big things in our lives happen.”

This is something everyone should remember. Each little choice you make ultimately leads you to where you’re supposed to be.

9. “When you believe in people, people come through.”

Believing in people is a powerful thing. It can give courage and strength–it can change them for the better.

10. “Victoria is wunderbar, but she is not my “Lebenslanger Schicksalsschatz.” She’s my “Beinahe-Leidenschaftsgegenstand”… it means the thing that is almost the thing that you want, but it’s not quite.”

Don’t settle for the person you almost want. It’s not fair to you or them. Find someone that is 100 percent what you want. Find someone you’ll never second guess. Find your person—not your almost person.

“How I Met Your Mother” is so much more than a sitcom. It’s relatable, shows us the importance of good friendships, and we learn important lessons from it. Every single person can find something important to take from the show. When you get the chance, turn on Hulu and get ready to fall in love with the show.