Spending a Weekend in Baton Rouge

Baton Rouge is just a little under a 10-hour drive from Statesboro.

Photo: LSU Athletics

The Georgia Southern football team will travel to Baton Rouge, Louisiana this weekend to face off with the LSU Tigers for the season opener. Located right next to the Mississippi River, Baton Rouge is known for its great views, rich food culture and lively nightlife. 

Planning on going to the game to cheer on the Eagles? Here are six things to do while on that Baton Rouge weekend. 

LIT Pizza

Only six minutes away from Tiger Stadium, LIT Pizza is calling all pizza lovers. LIT pizza allows the customer to create their own 11” personal pan pizza from a variety of toppings available. Lit Pizza is also vegan friendly, offering a cauliflower crust and dairy free cheese. 

Pricing ranges from $6 to $8 depending the toppings added to the pizza.

Voodoo BBQ and Grill is only a 13 minute walk from Tiger Stadium.
Photo: Facebook

VooDoo BBQ & Grill

Just a 13 minute walk or three minute drive, VooDoo BBQ & Grill prides themselves in their BBQ. Offering from pulled pork sandwiches, slow cooked meat platters, to their signature BBQ jambalaya. VooDoo BBQ & Grill also has a wide selection of beers and wines. 

Mike’s

Looking for a drink after the game? Check out Mikes in Tiger land. A small bar only eight minutes from Tiger Stadium, making it a perfect post game spot to have a little bit of dancing and fun.  Right next door to Mike’s are two other bars, JL’s and The House, as well. 

Hours are from 8 p.m. to 2 a.m.

Walk-on’s Bistreaux and Bar

Walk-On’s Bistreaux and Bar is more laid back and offers a wide selection of local beers on tap. They also have Louisiana style pub grub for if that appeitate attacks. Walk-On’s has a small arcade area for those who are feeling competitive as well. Open hours are from 11 a.m. to midnight, making it a relaxing drinking time. 

USS KIDD

Baton Rouge is home of the historic battleship, The USS KIDD. The battleship is now a museum that shows naval history and memorials. You can tour the battleship and learn all of its amazing history. Weekend times are from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and ticket prices are adults $12 , Veterans $10, Seniors $10, Children $8. 

Weekend times for tours on the USS KIDD are from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and ticket prices are adults $12 , Veterans $10, Seniors $10, Children $8. 
Photo: visitibatonrouge.com

East Baton Rouge Parish Library

Looking for the perfect photo-op? Visit East Baton Rouge Parish Library not for their large book selection, but for their top-tier rooftop architecture. EBRPL has a very modern rooftop with some great plants and all glass window, making it a perfect background for your artsy pictures. 

Open hours on weekends are from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., perfect for golden hour photos. 

The Eagles will be playing in Tiger Stadium with kickoff set for 6:30 p.m. central time.