LLP to honor outstanding majors at Awards Convocation

Each year, the LLP department awards winners of their essay contest for their papers in 1101, 1102, 2000 level, and upper-level course categories. Multiple scholarships are also awarded.
100_4231
Each year, the LLP department awards multiple scholarships to its majors.

Emilie Groover, Staff Writer

The department of Languages, Literature and Philosophy will present nine awards to several LLP majors at the April 19th Awards Convocation.

The winners of each award were nominated by faculty members for their achievements in English as well as their contributions around campus.

The LLP Department presents awards to outstanding students every year, adding a new award for the 2016 convocation.

“There was a Savannah advertising organization that gave Armstrong money for our English Communications program to sponsor scholarships for students in the name of somebody who was big in the industry in Savannah,” said Dr. Elizabeth Howells, LLP Department head.

The funded award is the Marv Vawter Scholarship in Communication.

“The faculty is looking at somebody who not only demonstrates excellence in English Communications in the classroom but also some achievement through their internship,” said Dr. Howells.

English Communications major, Lauren Ashley has been awarded with the 2016 Marv Vawter Scholarship in Communication.

Alicia Boeve and Diana Gonzalez are being awarded with the Fodor Award, a scholarship for study abroad. Boeve and Gonzalez will be traveling to Costa Rica and France, respectively.

This year’s award for academic achievement, the Jones Scholarship, will be presented to Taylor Walton, an English major and writing lab tutor.

Erin Quinney will have the opportunity to attend the Wesleyan University writer’s seminars, using the 2016 Wesleyan Scholarship.

Armstrong’s LLP Department also awards an Outstanding English Major award each year.  Robert Vinyard, the president of the English Speaking Union, is presenting the 2016 award.

The English Speaking Union celebrates the beauty of the English language and is sponsoring the Outstanding English Major award.

A senior English major who is active in the department and shows excellent academic achievement is being presented with the award. KC McGuire has been the editor of  “Calliope” for two years and is this year’s recipient of the Outstanding English Major award.

“At last years convocation I remember thinking how badly I wanted to win something but feeling like I couldn’t. Winning this award has erased my self-doubt and makes me feel like I can do anything,” said McGuire.

McGuire, who graduates in May, is applying to four English Masters programs at universities in England, hoping to attend the University of Kent.

An Outstanding Tutor Award will be presented to Brittany Spellers for her contributions to the Armstrong Writing Center.

Along with the Department awards, several students were nominated for awards for their contributions to the “Calliope” in fiction, poetry, and art.

Sha’Quan Jones (fiction), Michelle Ramos (poetry), and Rose Wellington (art) will be presented with the “Calliope” awards.

The April 19th Award Convocation will honor the LLP award winners as well as Award winners from all departments on Armstrong’s campus.