Hundreds attend candlelight vigil for two students killed in accident Sunday

Georgia Southern’s campus community remembers Jordan Thomas and Cole Couey

Andy Cole, Editor-in-Chief

A little over a day after two Georgia Southern students were killed in a car accident on I-16, hundreds of people attended a brief vigil honoring their lives.

Freshmen Jordan Thomas and Bradley “Cole” Couey died Sunday afternoon en route back to GS’ Statesboro campus after their vehicle struck a tree on I-16, according to the Georgia State Patrol.

Mourners gathered for the brief vigil outside of the Alpha Tau Omega (ATO) house, a fraternity Thomas and Couey were members of, and lit candles to remember their brothers. 

“Cole had hands down one of the biggest hearts,” said freshman Nick Barnes. “At any point, he would drop whatever he had to

Evelyn Spear

pick up a brother that he knew was going through something. That just speaks volumes to him as a person and as a man. To know [Couey] was to love him.”

“Jordan was one of the happiest people you’ll ever meet,” said sophomore Memphis Churchwell. “He always had a smile on his face and he always could put a smile on anybody else’s face. I don’t think I’ve ever seen him without a smile on his face.”

Glenn Womack, chairman of the board for GS’ chapter of ATO, told The George-Anne he appreciated the support the fraternity has received from ATO’s national office and GS.

“[We’re] here, with the alumni, expressing our deepest [condolences] for our young brother who prematurely passed,” said Womack. 

Anyone impacted by this event can reach out the dean of students office and the counseling center for any resources or support they may need at this time.

The dean of students office can be reached at (912) 478-3326 and the counseling center can be reached at (912) 478-5541.

This is an active story. The George-Anne will continue to monitor the situation.