Most Valuable Eagles: Selecting GS’s most outstanding athletes of 2017-2018

• '
  • Sarah Price scored 3 game winners last season.

'
  • '
  • Junior Steven Fisk finished The Hootie tied for 14th place. 

'
  • '
  • '
  • Sophomore Mason McWhorter hit a grand slam in Saturday’s game two over App State. 

'

McClain Baxley

Fall Sports

Men’s soccer

Javier Carbonell (junior)

The midfielder led the Sun Belt in assists per game (.53) earning him Sun Belt Newcomer of the Year and First Team All-Sun Belt honors. Carbonell also picked up four goals which was second on the team.

Women’s soccer

Sarah Price (senior)

Though she didn’t lead the team in scoring, Price came in clutch in the Sun Belt tournament with a game-winning goal in the quarterfinals against Troy. The forward finished second on the team in goals with four and game-winning goals with three.

Football

Monquavion Brinson (sophomore)

In a down year on defense, the cornerback still had a great season leading the Sun Belt in interceptions with five. The second team All-Sun Belt player also finished second in the league in pass breakups with 12.

Volleyball

Lauren Reichard (junior)

The first team All-Sun Belt middle led the league in hitting percentage (.342) and ranked second in the conference in blocks. Reichard averaged 2.53 kills and 1.18 blocks a set for the year.

Men’s basketball

Tookie Brown (junior)

For the third year in a row, Brown was named first team All-Sun Belt guard. Finishing third in Sun Belt scoring with 18.9 PPG, Tookie hit several incredible shots which even inspired Tookie Monster cookies.

Women’s basketball

Alexis Brown (sophomore)

The sophomore guard led the team in scoring with nine PPG and 3.7 rebounds per game. Brown also had a great performance in the Sun Belt tournament first round game against Louisiana with 17 points and going 5-8 from the free throw line.

Spring sports

Men’s tennis

Eddie Landin (senior)

The senior from Mexico finished the 2018 season second on the all-time win list for singles and doubles play. Landin was also able to collect Second Team All-Sun Belt honors for both singles and doubles.

Women’s tennis

Arianne de Winter (sophomore)

The sophomore went 11-7 in singles play, second on the team for number of wins. She was also awarded Second Team All-Sun Belt honors in both singles and doubles.

Men’s golf

Steven Fisk (junior)

In his third year with the team, Fisk leads the Eagles with an average score of 69 on the season and has had a nationally ranked year. In October, he set a school record by posting round score of 60.

Women’s golf

Ella Ofstedahl (sophomore)

The sophomore from England led the team with a 76 season average and had five top 10 finishes. Ofstedahl’s best finish was at the Texas State Invitational where she finished fourth out of 90 golfers.

Softball

Hannah Farrell (junior)

Farrell leads the team with a .326 batting average and has hit eight homeruns. She also has 18 RBIs for the Eagles and a team-high 46 hits.

Baseball

Mason McWhorter (sophomore)

McWhorter has picked up where he left off last season with a team leading six homeruns and 28 RBIs. He also is third on the team in batting average percentage with .259.

McClain Baxley, The George-Anne Sports Editor, gasports@georgiasouthern.edu