Georgia Southern student’s Chi Omega membership revoked following release of apparent blackface photos

• Credit: @NikiDoshi5 on Twitter

• Credit: @NikiDoshi5 on Twitter

Andy Cole

Update – 12:00 p.m. June 5, 2020: In an email to all students, TaJuan Wilson, associate vice president of inclusive excellence and Shay Little, vice president for student affairs addressed this incident saying, in part, “We are outraged to see such social media posts that include statements, images, videos and other content expressing ignorance, racism, discrimination, and disrespect.”

A team representing the Office of Inclusive Excellence and the Division of Student Affairs thoroughly reviews each incident and determines the appropriate course of action,” Wilson and Little added. 

Update – 9:00 a.m. June 5, 2020: In an email to The George-Anne, John Lester, vice president of university communications and marketing released a statement that read, in part, “These posts do not reflect Georgia Southern University’s values or our ongoing efforts to create an inclusive environment where every individual feels a sense of respect and belonging.”

“We will ensure that all students entering Georgia Southern this fall are educated on the importance of our shared values and the expectation that each of us play an integral role in achieving inclusive excellence,” Lester added.

STATESBORO — A member of Georgia Southern’s chapter of Chi Omega sorority has had her membership revoked following the surfacing of apparent blackface photos, according to Chi Omega’s Executive Headquarters.

Ansley Moody has been the subject of public scrutiny since Snapchat screenshots of her in a black face mask with racist captions on the pictures surfaced on Twitter.

The tweet sent by @NikiDoshi5, another Georgia Southern student, can be found below. 

{{tncms-inline account=”niki doshi 🦋” html=”<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">She’s a Chi Omega at Georgia Southern University. Twitter do ya thang :))) <a href="https://t.co/avpLt9mv1V">pic.twitter.com/avpLt9mv1V</a></p>— niki doshi 🦋 (@NikiDoshi5) <a href="https://twitter.com/NikiDoshi5/status/1268347660882391041?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">June 4, 2020</a></blockquote>” id=”https://twitter.com/NikiDoshi5/status/1268347660882391041″ type=”twitter”}}

The George-Anne reached out to Moody via email. She has not responded.

Chi Omega’s Executive Headquarters said in a statement to The George-Anne, “While it is not clear when this photo was taken, regardless of the timeframe, the image and caption used are inexcusable, inconsistent with our values in every way, and Chi Omega immediately moved to revoke her membership.”

“Chi Omega asks our Sisters to condemn words and acts of hatred, bigotry, and violence,” Chi Omega added.

The screenshots, published on what appears to be her private story, include Moody in a black face mask with the captions, “to quote rosa parks. nah.” and, “anyone have some watermelon i can have?” 

The George-Anne has not been able to confirm the legitimacy of the screenshots.

Moody also appeared to post a self-described rant on her ‘finsta,’ a common private Instagram account. 

“When specific people of another color tell me I’m white as shit… if I do the same thing. not to anyone directly. i get attacked,” wrote Moody.

The full post can be found below.

The George-Anne has not been able to confirm the legitimacy of the finsta or the post. 

GS administrators are aware of the situation, according to an email sent from Zwisel Gandia Torres, associate dean of student conduct and community standards, to a student.

Torres said in an email to The George-Anne, in part, “We are aware of the postings on social media and are looking into the matter.”

The George-Anne has also reached out to John Lester, vice president of university communications and marketing, TaJuan Wilson, associate vice president of inclusive excellence and Francisco Lugo, director of fraternity and sorority life for comment. 

None of them have responded to The George-Anne for comment.

This is an active story. The George-Anne will continue to monitor this situation.

Andy Cole, Managing Editor for News Coverage, bc14713@georgiasouthern.edu