Can Being Intimate Help You Burn Calories?

It’s that time of year!
Love, kisses and quality time with your bae is around the corner! Almost everyone enjoys spending Valentine’s day with someone who makes their heart flutter or gives them those disgusting, nauseating, but oh-so- good butterflies in their stomach.
But, let’s get real. We all know the fun doesn’t start until after the dinner date … if you know what I mean.  
So, in terms of health and exercise, we were super curious this Valentine’s day. Can getting “busy” with your special someone help you get a good workout?
Well according to Woman’s Day, intimate time with your sweetie pie is good for your health. We asked a couple of Georgia Southern students if they could guess how many calories you burn doing different “activities.”

How many calories can you burn doing…things…this Valentine’s Day? We hit the Russell Union and tested some Georgia Southern students on their knowledge of romantic fitness.
Posted by The Reflector on Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Sexologist Samantha Heuwagen seems to think otherwise when it comes to this information.
“I’m not on the medical side of things, but I know depending on how vigorous the sex is, it’s not going to be much,” said Heuwagen in a phone interview.
“We all think it’s going to be something extraordinary, like ’Yeah! Totally got a workout in by having sex!’ Yeah no,” Heuwagen said.
So is all that stuff about burning up to 68 calories per hour from kissing not true?
Unless you’re doing vigorous hand motions and getting the whole body experience going on with touching and stuff you won’t really be burning much Heuwagen continued to explain.
Looking at calories, it’s easy to take them in but getting them out and burning them is where it’s hard and that’s why it’s so hard to lose weight.
[su_pullquote]“If you’re having really boring, missionary sex, you know, where only one partner is doing all the moving? You’re only burning about six calories. Whoever is doing most of the motion is going to be burning a little bit more than that,” said Heuwagen.[/su_pullquote]
“If you’re having really boring, missionary sex, you know, where only one partner is doing all the moving? You’re only burning about six calories. Whoever is doing most of the motion is going to be burning a little bit more than that,” said Heuwagen.
So, does this mean sex isn’t completely a full exercise?
In this case, we have to go back and  define sex and what you’re doing during. If you’re sitting there going back to a traditional missionary position allowing your partner to do all the work, you’d simply be lying there and not doing much.
You can add more movement by thrusting or moving other parts of your body. Ultimately that’s what it’s about. Getting  the body involved, Heuwagen further explained.
“You’re getting in some cardio though. Where your heart is pumping blood and everything is moving on the inside, but that doesn’t necessarily mean you’re going to be losing inches,” Heuwagen said.
Well, I guess that settles it. If you’re not going to be participating in a “vigorous workout,” you’re not going to be burning that many calories.

Hey, why not take your honey bunches to partner yoga instead?

Happy Valentine’s Day!