Mind, Body, Spirit : The Balance you Desire

As human beings, we never stop growing. Our minds never stop acquiring knowledge, and our spirits, if taken care of, awaken and allow us become wiser beyond the wrinkles that may form on our faces. You are constantly changing as a young adult. It’s as if you’re going through metamorphosis and at this stage of your life, college is your cocoon.
While you may use the methods you know to exercise your body, are you doing the same and taking the time to exercise your mind or vice versa? You need to make sure that these dimensions of wellness: your mind, body and spirit, are aligned in order to keep the balance you crave as a human being.

Keeping Your Mental State in Good Shape.

Stress, academics, emotions and your personal life all play a role in your mental well-being. How you manage these facets are very important when it comes to mental wellness.
Most people have their own ways of dealing with each but then again, some people don’t know how to handle them individually or all at once. For example, while you may be doing great academically and getting work done, your personal and social life may be faltering. Ultimately, leaving you down in the dumps and feeling as if you have no life outside of school or work.
Yeah, been there, done that.
Your mental health depends on your ability to acknowledge the negative and the positive. When you’re able to acknowledge the things that are troubling you, you’re able to make effective, clear decisions and not beat yourself up about them later.
_MG_7776

What will do you to make sure you continue to keep your mental state healthy?

Luckily, you attend a University that offers the resources to help you out with these questions. The Counseling Center is a safe space where you as a student can get the help that you desire.
If you don’t feel the need to go to the Counseling Center, there are some self-help things you can do on your own:

• Take a 10-minute break and color.
  • Praying or meditating.
  • Writing in a journal.
  • Listen to your favorite song.
  • Have a picnic on Sweetheart Circle.

“Whatever your outlet is to manage your emotions, go to that outlet for 10-15 minutes… You’ll be surprised at the benefits of doing that daily,” Michelle Martin, Wellness Program Director, said.
Take the time and steps you need in order to be mentally healthy. Whether you know it or not, your mental health affects your physical health as well.

Being physically healthy

Let’s start off by saying you’re unique and you define your own beauty.
You don’t have to fit any mold that society says is “perfect.” Perception and reality are completely different things. Just because someone may look as if they have the “perfect” body, doesn’t necessarily mean that they are healthy.
If you want to be physically fit, there’s ways to approach getting there. It’s all about taking baby steps Michelle Martin, said.

“Starting first with just physical activity and exercise, I would say as students we have a really great resource here on campus at the RAC and lots of different ways to get involved and that is included in our fees. So definitely make use of that,” Rachel Kiliany, the Health Education Coordinator at Georgia Southern said

Being physically healthy doesn’t only consist of how you treat your body on the outside, but on the inside as well.
“As far as food goes, if you are on a meal plan there are really healthy dining options and there’s also some unhealthier dining options. So it’s making those healthier choices over the unhealthy ones,” said Kiliany.
When you decide to make a change in the way you treat your body and allow yourself time to acknowledge the way your mind works, a part of you that you didn’t even realize was there may reveal itself.

Mental and physical health contribute to your spiritual health

Spiritual health can be looked at outside the realms of religion. Everybody has the ability to be spiritually well whether they practice a faith or not said Martin.
“Spiritual wellness really comes in, when the mind and body connect. It comes into play when you do things like self-reflection. Self-Reflection comes through mediation, or through yoga,” said Martin.
Take a while and reflect as you lose yourself for that moment in time, allow yourself a chance to be exposed to the hidden wisdom your spirit holds.
_MG_7769

Balance: The Key to Success

Being able to deal with every aspect of your life can be hard. Can you name one person that literally has it all together? Neither can we.
However, it’s not about how much you can juggle, it’s about how well you can juggle.
Balancing school, work, relationships, and taking care of yourself is not easy, but when you make the effort to keep your spirit, mind and body aligned, you only get that much closer to figuring out your purpose in life and achieving complete self-fulfillment.
You can reach the counseling center at (912) 478-5541.
This was previously published in the Spring 2016 Reflector. Visit our Issuu page to view the digital copy of the magazine.
Photos by Cristen Gullatt