Surviving Flu and Cold Season

The fall and winter seasons can bring a lot of fun and adventure, but it can also be a nightmare with a runny nose, scratchy throat and nonstop sneezing which are all signs of getting a cold, or maybe even the flu.

What is the Flu?

According to the CDC, Influenza is a serious disease that can lead to hospitalization and sometimes even death. Every flu season is different, and influenza infection can affect people differently. Even healthy people can get very sick from the flu and spread it to others.

What is the Flu Vaccine?

The flu vaccine are antibodies that provide protection against infection with the viruses that are in the vaccine. … Traditional flu vaccines are made to protect against three flu viruses an influenza A H1N1 virus, an influenza A H3N2 virus and an influenza B virus.

There are multiple strains of flu viruses in existence, and each year a few of those strains predominate in circulation.  The vaccine is changed each year to cover the 3-4 strains that are predicted to be most prevalent during that flu season,” Medical Director of Georgia Southern Health Services, Dr. Brian Deloach said.

Why should you get it?

It is important to get the flu shot each year because there are multiple strains of flu viruses in existence. People who do not get vaccinated are at a higher risk of contracting the flu.
“Yes I get the flu shot each year. I think it is important to get it because if you don’t you are more prone to getting an infection and bacteria in the air,” junior and sociology major Autumn Williams said.
According to the CDC, The flu vaccination is a preventive tool for people with chronic health conditions, may make your illness milder if you do get sick, and protect those around you who are most vulnerable to getting sick, such as babies, younger children, older people and those with chronic health illness.

Even in those healthy folks the flu will cause at least 7-10 days of absolute misery, leading to missed class, missed work, money spent going to the doctor or hospital, etc. Most importantly, getting vaccinated is the best way to reduce your chances of getting the flu,” Deloach said.

The Stigma

Most people assume that one of the side effects of the flu vaccine is catching the flu, that it doesn’t work or that the vaccine itself are the actual virus.

“No, I don’t get the flu shot because I don’t really see a reason to, as a kid my parents never made me do it. I’ve gotten sick but I don’t think I’ve really gotten the flu, I think my grandma gets the flu shot but that’s the only person I really know that gets it and she never got the flu,” freshman electrical engineer major Steven Hart said.

Although there are several others that intentionally don’t get vaccinated for the simple fact that they don’t feel the need to or that they’ve never had the flu before it is important to consider these biases when making the decision to get it or not.
Most importantly, you do not get the flu from the flu vaccine regardless of what your mom, friend, or roommate has told you,”Deloach said.” It takes about two weeks for your immunity level to rise to the point that you are protected from the virus,” Deloach added

How can you get the vaccine?

The are many places available that offer the flu vaccine, According to the CDC,  For the 2016-2017 season, manufacturers have projected they will provide as many as 157 to 168 million doses of injectable influenza vaccine for the U.S. market.
Georgia Southern Health Services offers the injectable flu vaccine Monday-Friday. Patients may get the vaccine while being a seen with their health provider or as a walk-in they may receive the vaccine as recommended.
“Also, Health Services hosts flu vaccine clinics for students on various locations around campus on several occasions throughout the flu season, and we have on campus vaccine clinics for faculty and staff.  Finally, our Health Education and Promotion department deploys information throughout campus regarding steps to avoid the flu,” said Deloach