Seven must-reads for your Valentine’s Day

Seven must-reads for your Valentines Day

Valentine’s Day is right around the corner. For some of us, the holiday is about celebrating love. For others, it can be a day full of loneliness and loss. With this in mind, each member of Miscellany’s staff recommended a poem or novel, resulting in a collection that encapsulates either of these.

Without further ado, here are seven must-reads for your Valentine’s Day:

Noelle’s Recommendation: “OCD” by Neil Hilborn

Neil Hilborn’s poem “OCD” is a heartbreakingly beautiful poem about love and loss. So many people focus on the big events in life, but Hilborn reveals the beauty and the importance in the small things. While the poem is an amazing read, hearing Hilborn perform it shows just how powerful spoken word can be.

Nathan’s Recommendation: “To My Dear and Loving Husband” by Anne Bradstreet

I would recommend  “To My Dear and Loving Husband” by Anne Bradstreet. When I first read Bradstreet’s poem in high school, I thought it was one of the most endearing things that I have ever read.

Noah’s Recommendation: “Mountain Dew Commercial Disguised as a Love Poem” by Matthew Olzmann

Oh boy, this poem makes me feel like I have a partner that I don’t know about! It’s too often that we, as writers, search for reasons to love others and write about those things, but this piece says it like it is, listing out small, specific details that only the speaker and their partner love each other for. If you love Mountain Dew and also crying, give this piece one, or two, or three, or ten read throughs. It’s just that good. 

Marci’s Recommendation: Safe Haven by Nicholas Sparks

I like Safe Haven because it shows what it’s like to find love and actually feel safe in a relationship. It’s not written like a typical holiday-Hallmark movie (not entirely, anyway), where the business girl and the not-from-around-here guy suddenly cross paths and fall in love after an hour and a half. The novel has drama and suspense that ties you to the character(s) and it actually develops on a relationship in a way that’s not overly tacky. 

Bodie’s Recommendation: House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski

This Valentines Day, House of Leaves is the perfect reminder to love your partner, regardless of the parts you can’t understand. Or, at the very least, it will scare you out of ever buying a house.

Bailey’s Recommendation: “Fire and Ice” by Robert Frost

I chose “Fire and Ice” because it is my favorite Robert Frost poem. It also talks about how desire and hate will end the world.

Brenna’s Recommendation: A Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J Maas

A Court of Mist and Fury is a fantastic novel with vivid characters and excellent plot. It tells of finding and loving oneself after incredible hardship and loving others as well.