Should you be double masking?

Fernanda Camacho Hauser, Correspondent

Georgia Southern’s medical director discussed the merits and efficacy of “double masking” as new strains of COVID-19 begin to show up.

The George-Anne reached out to Brian M. Deloach, M.D. the medical director and staff physician, to hear GS’ stance on double masking and face mask layering

“According to the CDC’s guidance on ways to improve the fit and filtration of your mask to reduce the spread of COVID-19, a cloth mask may be layered over on top of a medical procedure mask (forming a “double mask”) for improved fit and filtration,” wrote Dr. DeLoach in an email to The George-Anne.

The basis for the COVID related policies and recommendations that Georgia Southern has in place follow both the Georgia Department of Public Health and the CDC guidelines. These policies are continuously being updated to better combat the ongoing situation as new studies develop .

DeLoach encourages the continued practices of facemask use, social distancing, handwashing as well as quarantining those who have come in contact with a positive case and isolating those who have tested positive.

“Per the CDC’s new guidance, there are some specific situations, though, where additional measures to improve face mask fit and filtrations may be more important.” he said.

To view more information on the newly updated CDC guidelines to face masks you can visit the CDC’s website. GS’ campus health information and the details of the “Do Right” campaign can be found here.

Editor’s Note: This article has been revised to include Dr. DeLoach’s thoughts on the new guidance from the CDC recommending double masking.