CRI to hold 5k along with Abbie DeLoach Foundation

Morgan Bridges, Correspondent

Georgia Southern Campus Recreation and Intramurals are holding its annual True Blue 5K alongside Abbie’s Adventure Race Saturday. 

The True Blue 5K takes place right through campus. Meanwhile, Abbie’s Adventure Race offers a competition of two-person mental and physical challenges where participants can win prizes, including t-shirts and medals. 

The campus organization with the highest participation rates has the opportunity to win a $1000 donation on behalf of the foundation.

“This is one of our favorite events of the year,” said Jimmy DeLoach, president of the Abbie DeLoach foundation. “The True Blue 5K/ Abbie’s Adventure Race gets our bodies out and moving, brings friends and alumni together and honors Abbie’s good works and positive spirit.”

Abbie DeLoach was a nursing student at GS and Recommendation Chairman for Kappa Delta when her life and that of four other nursing students were cut short in an accident on I-16 enroute to their last clinical rotation of the semester back in 2015. The foundation in her namesake is focused on rewarding academic excellence, service-work, and commitment to athletics, DeLoach’s focuses in life.

Abbie’s Adventure Race begins at 7:30 a.m., and the True Blue 5K begins at 8 a.m. Participants should arrive 30 minutes before their scheduled start time for either event. 

Ticket prices are $20 for students and $30 for non-students. Ticket prices will increase by $5 on Friday and Saturday. Tickets can be purchased online or through the RAC at member services until Friday from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.