GS chief diversity officer leaving after this semester

After a four-semester run, Chief Diversity officer Tajuan Wilson leaves GS

Alex Gholston, Correspondent

GS’ first-ever appointed Chief Diversity Officer will leave his position after a four-semester run this January.

“It is with heartfelt gratitude that I share Dr. Wilson has accepted an exciting opportunity to have impact at a national scale… and serve in a consultative role to clients regarding strategic hiring decisions and organizational development,” President Marrero wrote in an email to faculty and staff sent out Monday.

Tajuan Wilson has held the Chief Diversity Officer and Associate Vice President for Inclusive Excellence positions at Georgia Southern since spring 2020.

Under his leadership in October 2020, the Office of Inclusive Excellence created their inaugural Campus Climate Survey and developed the Inclusive Excellence Action Plan.

Marrero announced that Patrice Jackson will be rejoining Georgia Southern faculty as interim Chief Diversity Officer and Associate Vice President for Inclusive Excellence.

“As we look to the next step in our journey of sustaining a campus climate that honors, respects, and is inclusive of all elements of diversity… Dr. Jackson’s steady hand and experience will help ensure we continue our momentum in these efforts,” Marrero said in the email.

Previously, Jackson served as Dean of Students until September 2018. She was appointed Vice President of Student Affairs at Albany State University and continued as Vice President of Student Affairs at Augusta State University in January 2019. 

Dr. Jackson’s career at Georgia Southern spanned 11 years. She will return to campus as Chief Diversity Officer in January 2022.