Should the bars be 18+?

46.2% of GS students say that more than half the GS students they know under 21 have used a fake ID to get into a bar, based on an anonymous survey.

What else: 53.8% of the students who filled out the survey said that more than half the students they know (under the age of 21) have a fake ID. 

• 92.3% of the students who filled out the survey were on the Statesboro campus and 7.7% were on Armstrong campus. 
  • 46.2% of students said that all or most of the students (under the age of 21) they know have used a fake ID to obtain E-Cigarettes or tobacco products.
  • 38.5% of students said that all or most of the students (under the age of 21) they know have used a fake ID to obtain alcohol.

What students had to say about the bars and fake IDs:

“Bars should be 18+ to get in, they would make more money and less people would be getting fakes.”

“I think in a town such as Statesboro, where bars are the highlight of the town on weekends, it is tough for someone that is 18-20 and cannot go out with friends. It is definitely a risk that many students (including myself) are willing to take in order to improve social life in college.”

“They can be fun, but some people push it to an unhealthy extreme. It’s great until someone gets hurt.”

“We should get with the times like every other country and lower the drinking age.”

“It is what it is… not much to do to stop it”

“While I have no problem with people drinking while underage, I believe that ‘beginner experiences’ with alcohol should be in a safe space, like at home or a friend’s place. Inexperience in bars and the use of a fake ID can lead to outcomes that could drastically affect a person’s life, such as arrest, DUIs, car wrecks and more.”

“Underage people should not be in the bars”

“I think that the bars have every right to take a fake ID at the door and refuse service to anyone under age. They should not be allowed in if they are caught with a fake.”

“Overall, I think getting fake IDs to get into bars is kind of lame. People who go after getting a fake ID have their priorities all screwed up and their grades at GSU reflect that.”

“I think that it is a stupid thing. It irritates me that people cannot seem to have fun by themselves without the help of alcohol and other illegal substances.”

“I honestly feel like there’s no stopping people from using them, by now students know which places to go to and which ones not to go to.”

“I think a lot of the bars depend on underage students for their profits, I think most people at the bar are underage, and they are really the bars target audiences.”