Statesboro’s Black History Month Kick-Off Event

Georgia Southern’s Gospel Choir poses in front of the yellow, red, green and black decorated balloon wall honoring and celebrating Black History Month at the Kick-Off Event on February 6.
Director of Georgia Southern’s Office Of Multicultural Affairs (OMA), Kevin Reese, speaks on behalf of OMA about their process in organizing this years Black History Month Kick-Off Event in Statesboro.
A guitarrist and a drummer set up and provided musical entertainment while students were arriving at the event.
The Staff from the Office of Multicultural Affairs (from left to right) Richard Ware III, Justin Cosby, Chiazam Izuchukwu, and Ameer Smith welcome students to the event and scan their student ID’s checking them in.
The tables were decorated with black tablecloths and yellow runners sprinkled with glitter and beautiful centerpieces representing Black History Month.
Staff from Black Voters Matter help students register to vote and provide free shirts to those who stop by.
Student’s ate food ranging from chicken to mac n’ cheese and even peach cobbler for dessert!
The Henderson Library came with a booth set up with books written about or by Black individuals.
Georgia Southern student’s (from left to right) DeAndre Coles, Trint Ray, Iniubong Unah, Miles Rollins, and Joshua Martin inform and encourage students to join the The Xi Tau Chapter Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, inc.
Georgia Southern’s Black Book Club members (from left to right) Eugene Quillens III, Nadiyah McGill, Nazareth East, Sydney Robinson, and Iniubong Unah provide information about their club and pass out free books by Black authors and about Black individuals.
Olivia Pugh from Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc. quizzes students about fun Black History facts!
The National Council of Negro Women (from left to right) Tailecia Burke Amari Douglas, Crustal Binns, and D’Asia Fleming encourage students to join their organization.
Men of Vision and Excellence (MOVE) (from left to right) Pryce Erwin, Lyndon “Silas” Bogues, Deandre Coles, Brandon Fletcher, Thomas Lucas inform students about the benefits of their organization.
Georgia Southern’s Gospel Choir sing and clap to authentic gospel music.
The event ends with a performance from Southern Soarettes Majorette Team dancing with phenomenal choreography to some catchy songs.