What is Boro Pride?

The Boro Pride Board, consisting of Members Zina Petersen and Monica Van Wagenen, Secretary Nadia Sampson, Deputy Director Kenneth Smith, Director Suzanne Shurling, Miss Boro Pride Shannon Rose, the 2023 Boro Pride Grand Marshall Tiffany DuBois, and Ander Jenkins pose together after their Potluck and Drag Show Event

Boro Pride is an LGBTQIA+ organization started in 2019 that connects individuals to the community through events and gatherings that help to build the community and provide a safe space. Boro Pride hosts various events throughout the year for LGBTQIA+ individuals throughout Statesboro.

These events include Drag Bingo, Open Mic Nights, the annual Boro Pride Drag Pageant, and the annual Boro Pride event that takes place in October as well as appearances at other events such as Boro Fest and National Coming Out Day. 

The organization also provides support for the community through individual grants to help individuals in the LGBTQ community that may be struggling financially such as individuals that may have been kicked out of their home due to their sexual or gender identity. 

Becoming Involved

Boro Pride is currently looking for members to help plan events and help the organization to grow. They currently have an open executive board position for Treasurer, as well as need members to join their marketing, programming, logistics, membership, and financial subcommittees.

Deputy Director Kenneth Smith said that those interested in helping to promote an organization that looks out for the best interest of their community should consider serving with Boro Pride. He emphasized that joining is a great way to serve a marginalized community, make friends, and a great way for students to build skills and experience with running a non-profit. 

Those who are interested in nominating themselves or someone else for the board are encouraged to fill out the nomination form at tinyurl.com/BoroPrideNominationAdditionally, those interested in learning more about the organization or joining a discord with other local community members can visit their linktree at linktr.ee/statesboropride.