An Overview of Women’s History Month 2024

Women’s History Month serves as a reminder of the continuous struggle for gender equality and the importance of continuing to advocate for women’s rights.

Although there has been significant progress made in recent decades, women still face discrimination.

• There are extreme disparities in different aspects of life; including education, employment, healthcare, and representation in leadership roles.

This month reminds us to continue our commitment to advancing gender equity and empowering women and girls around the world.

History Behind the Colors

The official colors of Women’s History Month are purple, green, and white.

White: 

Women suffragists initially included white as part of their symbolic color palette due to its affiliation with purity.

In the past white was more negative towards women. White was to symbolize youth, virginity, and moral virtue. It suggested that women could be expected to vote for politicians and policies that would better society.

White has now evolved to represent equality among women.

Green:

When we see the color green, we usually think of nature.  For Women’s History Month, the color green represents growth and new beginnings.

Purple:

The most significant color that is closely tied to Women’s History Month.

1903: It was used by the Women’s Social and Political Union in the United Kingdom during their fight to vote and it inevitably spread globally.

1908: International Women’s Day was celebrated globally for the first time and the color purple has already become the color of the occasion.

1930: It is associated with the female plight written about in the publication of Alice Walker’s novel, The Color Purple

Besides its use for Women’s History Month purple is also used for domestic violence awareness and the #Metoo movement

Women’s History Month 2024 theme

The Women’s History Month theme is selected each year by the National Women’s History Alliance.

This year’s theme is Women Who Advocate for Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion.

• This theme celebrates women who understand that we have to eliminate bias and discrimination completely from our lives to create a positive future.
    2023 Theme: Celebrating Women Who Tell Our Stories

2022 Theme: Women Providing Healing, Promoting Hope

My Favorite Quotes From Women that Relate to this Women’s History Month Theme:

1. “Nothing is more important than empathy for another human being’s suffering. Nothing. Not a career, not wealth, not intelligence, certainly not status. We have to feel for one another if we’re going to survive with dignity.” — Audrey Hepburn, actress and UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador.
  2. I know my worth. I embrace my power. I say if I’m beautiful. I say if I’m strong. You will not determine my story. I will.” — Amy Schumer, comedian and actor.
  3. My mission in life is not merely to survive but to thrive and to do so with some passion, some compassion, some humor, and some style.” – Maya Angelou (1928-2014), memoirist, poet, civil rights activist.
  4. “The longer I live, the more I observe that carrying around anger is the most debilitating to the person who bears it.” — Katharine Graham, first female publisher of a major U.S. newspaper.
  5. “Women need to see other women do well. It empowers them. We in athletics can help be a face of change and be a force. That’s the responsibility of all of us.” — Billie Jean King, former professional tennis player.