Usher’s Super Bowl Halftime Show Recap

Usher took the stage on Feb. 11 to perform at Super Bowl LVIII at Allegiant Stadium in Las Vegas, Nevada. In the weeks leading up to the big game, people took to social media to predict every aspect of the performance. While I didn’t make too many predictions, the show was not what I expected, but it was nothing short of amazing. The whole show was very nostalgic since most of Usher’s discography took over the early 2000s.

A hot topic surrounding the show was if he was going to bring out any special guests. I was hoping that Justin Bieber would make an appearance to perform their 2010 hit “Somebody to Love,” but while that was a big loss, Usher still had a star-studded group join him on stage. First, Alicia Keys was there to perform a snippet of her song “If I Ain’t Got You,” and “My Boo,” her hit duet with Usher. Next, H.E.R. came up to show off some amazing guitar skills. Later on in the show, will.i.am sang “OMG” with Usher, shortly before Lil Jon started performing “Turn Down For What.” To the end of the show, Ludacris, will.i.am, Lil Jon and Usher sang the best of them all, “Yeah!”

His full set contained the following songs:

• “Caught Up”
  • “U Don’t Have to Call”
  • “Superstar”
  • “Love in This Club”
  • “If I Ain’t Got You”
  • “My Boo”
  • “Confessions Part II”
  • “Nice & Slow”
  • “Burn”
  • “Bad Girl”
  • “U Got it Bad”
  • “OMG”
  • “Turn Down For What”
  • “Yeah!”

I asked four students for their opinions on the show, here’s what they had to say:

“I didn’t know what to expect, but it was fun and I enjoyed it! The songs he played were good because they were nostalgic and overall a good time, but I did want him to bring out Justin Bieber so they could perform “Somebody to Love.” My favorite part of the show was the roller skates, it was funny and I started jumping when Lil Jon came out.”
– Bella Jahnke, Freshman

“The performance was exactly how I expected it to be. Since it was Usher, I knew he was going to have a great stage presence and he most definitely delivered. I most definitely enjoyed the songs because they are some of his greatest hits. I was surprised by the guests, but they added more exciting elements to the performance.”
– Kayla Tucker, Freshman

“I definitely liked it, but it wasn’t as good as the other ones before, and him bringing out Alicia Keys was really unexpected. Nothing really stuck out to me, but I did like it.”
– Ayo Oni, Sophomore

“I think the performance was good enough for an Usher performance, I think he did what he does best, which is sing good and dance good. I also enjoyed the songs that were sung and the way he covered them all in a good time since he has so many good songs. I think he performed all the songs that most people wanted to hear, besides the one with Justin Bieber, since I know a lot of people wanted that one. My favorite part of the show would have to be when Ludacris and Lil Jon came out, that was an amazing guest appearance with both of them.”
– Jordan Hodges, Freshman

You can find the full video of his performance here.