Transportation Alternatives

Transportation+Alternatives

It is very popular for students to utilize GroupMe as a way to find students who will drive them to and from places around campus, but why are students turning to GroupMe rather than traditional Ubers and Lyfts?

There are multiple GroupMe chats utilized by Georgia Southern students in order to find rides to and from places around Statesboro. Although these groups can be useful to students, it should be noted the risks that come along with riding with students versus certified companies, such as Uber.

There are multiple GroupMe sub groups dedicated to giving students rides. There is one for girls only, and others, depending on what neighborhood you live in. You can join these groups by having somebody you know add you into the group, although some of the groups require admin approval before joining. The admins of these groups strive to ensure that there is no other business going on in the groups except for giving rides. If patrons are found to be misusing the group, i.e to sell products or scamming others for money, they can potentially be kicked out.

Once you are in the group, any student in there can request for a ride or either start giving rides to others. There is no one option that is better than the other, but some students believe the GroupMe is more practical than taking an Uber.

I asked a member of the GroupMe why she chooses GroupMe over Uber and her response was:

• “Because I know they’re all students, and it just makes me feel better and it’s cheaper than regular uber most of the time.”

The student asked to remain anonymous but shared that her friends also agree that it is cheaper.

Whether you choose GroupMe or Uber to get around Statesboro, take the time and reflect on which option you consider to be most reasonable.