Eclipse Over the Boro

This is a representation of what they sun will look like during the eclipse.

On April 8, the total solar eclipse can be seen right here in Statesboro. The last time a total eclipse took place where people were able to see it was in August of 2017. Eclipses happen frequently throughout the years, but they are rarely in a direct path where the population can see them. 

During a total solar eclipse, the moon passes between the earth and the sun while completely covering the sun. Although in Statesboro we will not see the sun completely covered, we can expect to see the majority of it covered. The eclipse will begin around 12 p.m., but we expect it to start getting dark around 2 p.m., according to Dillon Marcy, Planetariums and Astronomy Lab Coordinator. 

This is different from the lunar eclipse that took place a few days ago, on March 25. A lunar eclipse occurs when the earth is between the sun and the moon. These happen around one to two times per year, whereas the total solar eclipse is around every 18 months. 

It is recommended not to stare at the eclipse without the proper glasses, as the retinas in human eyes are very sensitive, and even in the dark, the sun can still cause damage to the  eyes when looking directly into it. 

“Using protective glasses dims it (the sun) over 100,000 times. It dims it enough to where you can see the sun, but none of the dangerous rays that are emitted,” said Marcy.

Although Georgia is not directly in the path of totality, where the sun will be directly covered, we will still be able to view a partial eclipse right in our backyard.