Orange Crush in Jeopardy?

Orange Crush is one of the biggest unsanctioned events in Savannah, Georgia, on Tybee Island. This event dates back to 1988, when many HBCU colleges in the South came together, and the tradition still continues. At the end of March, the official Orange Crush Instagram page posted that they would be returning to Tybee Island on April 19-21. 

Why Does This Matter?

• On Monday, Governor Brian Kemp signed Senate Bill 443, which allows places like Tybee Island to sue promoters for unpermitted events. 
  • It is likely there will be an increase in security on the beach, shutting down any parties and events that have been advertised. 
  • It cost the city of Savannah over $100,000 for Orange Crush weekend last year, according to WSAV, and the new bill strives to put those fees on event organizers rather than the city. 

Orange Crush has been an unpermitted event since 1991, yet students continue to go to the beach. Last year, between 40 and 50 thousand people came to the island, according to Savannahnow. 

“I went in 2023, and it was overwhelming for sure because there were so many people; everywhere you turned, there was a person. And it was so hectic that I was in traffic for three to four hours trying to get off the island. People were driving on the wrong side of the road, and it was so stressful,” said Jordyn Mobley.

Many are curious to see what will happen since the event was supposed to be canceled following last year’s shootings.