Goodbye Georgia Southern!

Walking into the George-Anne office as a freshman reporter, I never could have imagined the journey ahead. Eden Hodges, my Editor-in-Chief, pushed me out of my comfort zone from day one. Little did I know, that was just the first of many comfort zones I’d have to leave behind.

After just one semester, I was named Managing Editor. But the real test came the following year when I stepped into Eden’s shoes as Editor-in-Chief. So much responsibility, so fast. But it was so fun. After that, I left the EIC position behind and chose to focus more on my special projects and switched gears into Your Newsroom for social media and anchoring headlines. Ashley Watts and Elise Taylor helped me week-after-week film those videos with so many funny bloopers!

I’d like to thank my newly retired Director, David Simpson, he gave me more tough than love but I came out better from it. I would also like to thank Gina Germani, who is probably the toughest professor I have had. She not only encouraged me but she always told me what could be better and for that, I am so grateful. A huge thank you to all of my family and friends for their support in my entire college experience– And a special thank you to Nydia, Timothy, and Kayla Countryman.

Three years, countless all-nighters, and more rewrites than I can count later, it’s bittersweet to say goodbye to the George-Anne and to Georgia Southern. This place shaped who I am as a person and a journalist. I’ll forever be grateful for the opportunities, the tough love, the friends, and most of all, God’s guiding hand through it all. Georgia Southern, thanks for everything and as always – HAIL SOUTHERN!