Let's Get Moisturized: DIY Avocado Face Mask

Fall is here, but soon enough Winter will be making its way to the boro’. Winter is a great time for holidays and festivities, but not a great time for your skin.
However, have no fear because this simple avocado, yogurt and honey face mask is perfect to prepare you for that winter skin while not causing irritation.
This super moisturizing mask not only contains a bunch of minerals, but it also is probably the easiest mask to make.

What you need2011-12-10 16.59.51 (1)

½ Avocado
3-4 Tablespoons Yogurt
2 Teaspoons Honey

How to Do It

1. Mash the avocado with the back of a fork or puree it in a blender until you get a smooth paste with no chunks. Got leftovers? You can either eat up the remaining avocado (yum!) or slather it over your hands and legs before a bath for extra-soft skin.
2. Thoroughly combine the pureed avocado, honey, and yogurt in a small mixing bowl.
3. Smear the mask lightly over your clean face in a gentle circular motion. Let it sit for 10 to 15 minutes.
4. Rinse off the mask with warm water. Pat dry and say hello to beautiful glowing skin!
2011-12-10 17.16.17
Crista LiCausi, a sophomore pre-nursing major, put this mask to the test to see how well it worked for her dry skin.

“When I rinsed off the mask, I could tell that my skin was softer than before,” Licausi said.

The only tip she had when doing the mask is not to make it beforehand. “We decided to make the mask the night before so we had to stick it in the fridge. When I put it on my face, it was really cold so that made the waiting to wash it off not very pleasant,” Licausi said.

Amazing reasons why these household ingredients work so well:

Avocado

avocadoNourishes the skin with vitamins including skin-friendly vitamin E, natural oils, and fatty acids. Cleanses, hydrates, and moisturizes skin. Contains anti-inflammatory and anti-aging properties that promote healthy, youthful skin. Fights off free radicals that damage healthy skin cells and cause premature aging.

Yogurt (Preferably plain greek yogurt)

yogurtFortifies the skin with B vitamins, zinc, and calcium. Contains live cultures and antibacterial properties that destroy acne-causing bacteria. Nourishes and hydrates skin, keeping it soft, smooth, and supple.

Honey

hone yContains skin-lightening properties that can reduce the visibility of acne scars and dark spots. Combats free radicals that cause fine lines and wrinkles on skin. Kills acne-causing germs. Moisturizes and hydrates skin because it is a humectant (it draws moisture to your skin).
Just because the air is getting colder and dryer doesn’t mean your skin has to. Use this mask to help soften and hydrate your skin or look up some other awesome DIY masks online.
Let’s conquer winter-time skin with beauty regimens that not only are safe for your skin, but simple to make.