Dress to Impress (Your Future Employer)

The graduation countdown continues and students are feeling the itch of summer break just around the corner.
Many students are moving from the anxiety of school work to the anxiety of finding a job or internship.
The last of the resumes are being reviewed and students should be hearing back from future employers any day to set up an interview with their company.
If you are like many other students, you may be at a loss of what to wear to leave the perfect first impression on your potential employer.
Luckily for us, women have some more options than men when it comes to the perfect interview outfit. But it can still be difficult to put something together with the little time you have to plan. So, here are some classic combinations that you can never go wrong with if you want to make the most professional impression on a potential employer.
A pantsuit is always a great option that is timeless, and classy. The best way to make yours stand out from the rest is pairing either a navy, grey, or black suit with a different colored blouse. However, you want to make sure your blouse is not too “loud.”
Screen Shot 2016-04-04 at 11.45.07 AM
“Do not wear animal print, but blue and green are great pops of color for blouses,” said Dr. Michelle Groover, lecturer in the Communication Arts program.
However if you are not keen on wearing pants to an interview another formal option is a skirt suit, but you must make sure you get the length correct.
“Your skirt should be at or below the knee, it will ride up when you sit down so you want to make sure it is long enough,” Groover said.
Screen Shot 2016-04-04 at 12.01.20 PM
Whether you choose the route of a pant suit or skirt suit make sure to keep the nail color, makeup, and accessories to a bare minimum.

“When going for an interview you need minimal jewelry, neutral nail polish, and natural makeup,” said Savannah Kennedy, graduate assistant at Career Services.

Kennedy also said to stand out from the rest of the applicants you need to make sure your garments are tailored and pressed. Also, changing up your outfit from the typical black suit to a grey or navy can leave an impression in a sea of black slacks.
Another option in specific setting is an appropriate dress, but you must make sure that you dress it up with a blazer to make it business professional.
Screen Shot 2016-04-04 at 12.13.57 PM
“You should never wear a cardigan, it is way too informal,” Groover said.
You must also be very carefully when selecting a dress to wear to an interview, if the job is a very corporate business professional setting then you should stick to some sort of suit instead.
Whether you decide to wear a pant suit, skirt suit, or dress to an interview, make sure you are dressed for success. Wearing neutral colors with a pop of  jewel tones, blush, or creams is a great way to stand out for the right reasons, and make sure you keep the perfume to a minimum.
Go into your interview with these few tips and you are destined for success.