The best snacks of the 90's

With a whopping 675 Eagle career kills, 70 blocks, .275 attack percentage and 138 digs, Lauren Reichard has made a huge impact and impression on the Georgia Southern volleyball team.

The 6-foot middle has made quite the name for herself here at GS through team leadership, her vast skill set and many awards she has received over the years highlighted by being named to the first-team All-Sun Belt.

Reichard is just the seventh female Eagle be named to first team All-Sun Belt and the first since Emily Snider, who was named to the first team All-Sun Belt team for softball.

“First team last year was a big accomplishment,” Reichard said. “Definitely didn’t see it coming, but it was really cool when I found out.”

In the 2017 season, Reichard led the Sun Belt in hitting percentage with .342 and was second in the conference with 31 blocks, averaging 1.18 per set. The junior was also a successful server, serving 14 aces in the 2017 season. Along with that she was team leading with 266 kills with 2.53 kills per set.

Reichard started to make an impression on the Eagles as soon as she started playing her freshman year. Her first year, she started all 26 matches she played in, and logged 143 kills, averaging 1.55 kills per set.

Then in her sophomore year in 2016 she started in all 33 matches and played 125 sets resulting in adding 266 kills and 27 blocks for the Eagles.

Head Coach Dustin Wood discussed Reichard’s growth in her time at GS.

“She’s grown as a player,” Wood said. “She’s grown as a leader and a person… Each year she’s gotten better.”

Reichard is a rising senior from Wrightsville, Pennsylvania and as one could tell, Pennsylvania isn’t a short distance away, but Wood had some personal connections to Lauren when it came to recruiting.

“She’s from my hometown. Just having friends and family in the area, we knew about her early,” Wood said. “We recruited very heavily, and she fell in love with Georgia Southern.”

Reichard was able recollect her own special recruiting experience with GS.

“I fell in love with the team immediately. It’s a great family atmosphere, the level of play here is really high,” Reichard said. “I knew I could compete here and I really wanted to be a part of this family.”

Reichard is more than just a statistics builder though. The senior has stepped into a role of leadership and has pushed for the Eagles to become better as a whole.

“On the court she’s the vocal team leader,” Coach Wood said. “She competes at everything, which is a big thing.”

Once Reichard joined Eagle nation she knew she made the right choice.

“[I] couldn’t ask for better relationships with my teammates and my coaches,” Reichard said. “It’s very open, we’re all a big family.”

Kaitlin Sells, The George-Anne Sports Reporter, gasports@georgiasouthern.edu

Almost everyone knows that the 90s was an awesome decade to be born in. From “Star Wars” to “Full House”, to Britney Spears and the Backstreet Boys, and to every other category from the 90s. It was a full 10 years of so many new technologies being discovered in such a short amount of time. The 90s were for sure the biggest technological advancement period yet from DVD’s to cell phones..

When people tend to think of the 90s they usually think of the movies, TV shows, games, and other technological advancements, but the 90s was so much more than that. –Who could ever forget the snacks and the candy?

Some of the old snacks and candies are still around today, though they are not as easy to find as they were way back when.

The majority of the students in college now are 90’s kids, if not previous decades. Here are a few 90’s snack throw backs from some students.
pop-rocks

“Pop Rocks were the best candy back when I was a kid! The great taste, plus the exciting sensation was a highlight of my childhood,” Dana Boyd, accounting major at Georgia Southern said.

Pop Rocks are still around, but they are just more difficult to find nowadays. They are sold at most old candy shops along with most of the other old candy from way back when.

“Pez candies were my all time favorite candy as a kid. It was both a candy and a toy and so much fun to collect them all,” Lorenzo Soler, communications major at GS, said.

Pez candies are still around and some of the original flavors have been changed. They are best found in a candy store along with the plastic pez dispensers.  

“My favorite candy was the wax soda bottles. It’s depressing that I can only get them at Cracker Barrel or special candy stores,” Alexis Emery, accounting major at GS said.

A lot of people would buy the wax soda bottles and drink the juice and then just chew on the wax for the weird sensation of the texture.
shockers

“Shockers were my favorite candy growing up, because I’m in love with sour candy and that was one of the first sour candies I ever had,” Nicholas Leavenworth, marketing major at GS, said.

If you were a true 90’s kid you had to have had the candy cigarettes and the wonderballs that every kid would look forward to going to the gas station or the grocery store to get. It’s not just a surprise candy inside but it’s also two candies in one. It’s a hollow chocolate ball with a surprise hard candy in the inside for those of you who never got to experience the wonder.

Wonder balls just recently started coming back out about a year ago. As a kid growing up in the 90’s you sold different foods like the play doh colored edible cookies, cookie dough, and the colored crust pizzas. Schools don’t sell those kinds of treats anymore.

It was a decade filled with so many new amazing advancements and memorably delicious snacks. You can say it was one hell of a decade!

giphy

photos courtesy of: giphy and popscreen