Pinterest Challenge: Easter Edition

Photo by Mick Miller

Easter is almost here once again, and so I was challenged to find an Easter dish on Pinterest and try my hand at it. I will go ahead and give you a spoiler alert; it was not a fail! My friend, Lizzi, and I put our own spin on the following recipe from Spend with Pennies:

Ingredients:

• 12 Chocolate Cupcakes, baked
  • 6 White or Yellow Cupcakes OR 12 donut holes
  • 12 mini marshmallows
  • 1½ cups fine coconut
  • Chocolate cookie crumbs
  • 1 jar chocolate frosting
  • 1 jar vanilla frosting
  • 1 package white candy melts
  • Pink candy melts or pink gel coloring (you will just need a couple of melts)

Instructions:

1. If using white/yellow cupcakes for the bunny body, using a melon baller, scoop out a ball of cupcake for each bunny body (you should be able to get 2 per cupcake). If you are using donut holes, cut a small slice off the bottom so it can sit flat.
  2. Frost each chocolate cupcake with chocolate frosting. Dip into the cookie crumbs.
  3. Place about 20 white candy melts into a small Ziploc bag and microwave about 20-30 seconds or until melted. Snip a small corner off and pipe little feet shape onto parchment paper (2 feet per cupcake plus a few extras just in case). Mine were 1″ long by about ½” wide.
  4. Once cool, melt the pink candy melts in a small ziploc bag and pipe toes and the pads of the feet. Let set.
  5. Place ½ cup vanilla frosting in a small bowl. Microwave 10 seconds or until soft and slightly runny. Dip each white cupcake ball or donut hole in the vanilla frosting and then into the coconut. Gently press to adhere. Dip each mini marshmallow into the frosting and then the coconut. Let the bunny body and tail cool.
  6. Using white candy melts as “glue,” stick the tail to the body (you can cut part of the marshmallow off if it is too big). With white candy melts, stick the bunny butt to the cupcake. Finally use the candy melts to adhere the feet with the toes facing downward.

Instead of chocolate cupcakes, we used Betty Crocker French Vanilla Cake Mix, buttercream frosting (we made it ourselves) and green food gel. I would say that our cupcakes rival Peter Cottontail himself and put Kim K.’s booty to shame.
We had a great time making these, and cupcakes for different holidays may even become a tradition! Have a happy Good Friday and Easter! But, seriously, tell me who’s do you think were better!?