8 Tips to Get You Back In the College Mindset

Welcome back, Eagle Nation. We just had a month of pure freedom, but now it’s once again time to grind. The first week might be Syllabus Week—but sometimes it’s still easy to get overwhelmed as you readjust back into the school mindset and get accustomed to your schedule.

Here are some tips to steer you in the right direction.

THE MINUTE CLASSES START

Go ahead and order your textbooks ASAP  if you can. Start early now because chances are that you’ll really need time to relax once your classes begin. That hour to relax can save you from feeling overwhelmed later. 

That’s not even to mention that with your books, you won’t be prepared for the coursework.

Look at your syllabi. This way not only will you form a good idea of what to expect of your classes, but also you can go ahead and adjust slowly to the idea of going back to class. Basically, it will make returning to class more real and concrete. It will also let you know if you should drop a class that isn’t what you thought it would be.

Set a goal. This could be anything from deciding to go to the gym twice a week to deciding to get a certain number of A’s this semester. What changes would you like to see in your life?

THE NEXT FEW WEEKS

Write important due dates into your calendar/planner. This will be a huge help to you later on when you’re trying to keep track of all you have to do, but it will also help reorient you into an academic mindset.

Do a little at a time. Don’t take too much on at once. If your professor assigns a small assignment, do it now rather than later. It’s the same idea as with ordering your textbooks. You’ll need that time later to manage everything else you will be dealing with. 

For bigger and more time-consuming projects, get a headstart if you have the time but don’t over-stress.

Look into joining an organization if you haven’t already. Check MyInvolvement or head to the organization fair at the rotunda that happens the first few weeks. New year, new you.

Do something fun and unrelated to class. Do some yoga. Play some video games. Reconnect with friends. If you complete an activity that relaxes but engages you, then you will give yourself a bit of a necessary recharge.

However, resist the urge to have too much fun. That means don’t party every night. As much as you might need to relax, you also need to focus.

Remember that you have resources. That includes professors and classmates, of course, but don’t forget about the counseling center, Student Athlete Services, the Writing Center or the Academic Success Center. They are all there just for you.

Here’s to a great start to a new semester!