Armstrong golf finishes in top 6 at PBC tourny

Golf

By Alex Berg-Capin, Staff Writer

The Armstrong golf teams played in the Peach Belt Conference tournament that started on April 17 and was hosted by Lander University at Greenwood Country Club.

The men’s team knew that they had to beat many teams that they had faced throughout the year to make it to the regional tournament, despite having a successful spring season, Sophomore Joseph Jarrard felt as if it could be too little too late.

“Unfortunately our poor performance last fall has led to us having to rely on us playing well in this year’s conference tournament and on teams from other schools within the region not doing so well in their conference tournaments,” Jarrad said.

The first day for the men did not go as planned. After shooting a first round 296 they sat tied for eleventh place.  Despite a decent day from freshman Andrew Burgess, a season-best one-under-par 71, the Pirates were just behind their expectations for the first round.

Senior Cory Griffin posted an even-par 72 which tied him for fifteenth place while junior Howard Hickey shot a four-over par 76. Both Jarrard and freshman Reid Rathburn shot five-over par 77s which left them tied for fiftieth place individually.

Even if the ladies team won the conference tournament they couldn’t make it to regionals, but they closed out last week with a good performance.

The women began the tournament with a first round-311 that put them in fourth place. The Pirates sat nine strokes behind first-round leader Montevallo and five behind host Lander.

Freshman Sophie Bargeron led the Pirates individually after shooting a first round two-over-par 74. Fellow freshman Nathalia Baigorria shot six-over-par 78 and was tied for tenth. Junior Brendie Rockholt shot a 79 while sophomore Molly Molyneaux carded an 80 to sit tied for twenty-first.

After the second day the men’s team had moved up five spots to 6th place with a team score of 289 one-over-par. The teams’ total of 9-over-par 585 was 19 strokes behind team leader Flagler (566) who shot a 286 to take a two-shot lead over USC Aiken. Freshman Andrew Burgess improved on his score by shooting a second round two-under-par 70 and three under for the tournament.

Rathburn shot a second 77 and finished tied for 54th with a 154 total. Sophomore Joseph Jarrard rounded the Pirates’ scoring with a six-over 78 where he finished in 57th place with a 155 total.

A second day 312 would left the Lady Pirates in fourth place and a two-day 623 left them sitting 21 strokes behind leader Montevallo who held a five-stroke lead over Lander. Bargeron carded a 76 on Saturday and tied 5th individually with a 150 total. Her performance earned her a spot on the All-Tournament Team.

Junior Pamela Mosley also carded a 76 to sit tied for sixteenth with a 158 total. Baigorria shot a second round 80 to sit alongside Mosley in the standings. Molyneaux second straight 80 to tie 21st individually with a 160 total. Rockholt rounded out the Lady’s scoring with a second round 84 to finish 25th.

Unfortunately, due to inclement weather, the third round was cancelled which gave the men a sixth place finish and the women a fourth place finish. The women locked up a spot in the regional tournaments with the finish and the men are are hoping to gain an at-large spot into the tournament that begins May 3.