Cody Sherlin named PBC Player of the Week

Kylie Fields

cody sherlinCaleb Bailey, Sports Editor

The Armstrong Pirate baseball team looked pretty rough after losing their last five games. They entered their three-game series Saturday, Feb. 27, against Georgia Southwestern. Looking to turn things around, they did just that thanks to the play of senior Cody Sherlin.

Sherlin entered Saturday’s game against the Hurricanes having recorded just five RBIs through 11 games on the year. However, that all changed as he went 9-13 through three games while driving in five more RBIs.

He also recorded four doubles and scored six runs for the Pirates. He added on a stolen base and that was good enough to win him Peach Belt Conference Player of the Week honors.

While Sherlin knows this is a big honor, he was most excited about being able to help his team get out of their slump and get things rolling again.

“I’m extremely honored to have been chosen as PBC Player of the Week,” Sherlin said. “Most importantly, I’m thankful that I could contribute to the team this weekend to help get us back on the winning track. Hopefully, we can build on this momentum and continue to play like the good baseball team I know we are.”

Sherlin is joined by Stetson Smith, who was named PBC Freshman of the Week. He went 3-7 from the plate and contributed a double with two RBIs in the Pirates’ three-game sweep.
The two of them together helped the team get back to over .500 in the win column as they are looking at an 8-6 record going into another key conference match-up against the Lander Bearcats this weekend.