Does FDA approval change students’ minds about vaccination?

Pfizer got the full FDA stamp of approval but some students are still skeptical

Chase Amoroso, Correspondent

The  U.S. Food and Drug Administration’s approval for the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine has given the green light to some Georgia Southern students with vaccine-hesitancy to get vaccinated, but others remain unconvinced. 

“The approval wasnt the only deciding factor for me,” said Tara Rippy, a junior education major who has not been vaccinated but now has plans to. “My mother has an autoimmune disorder, and I’ve had covid before and I just feel like I need to be more aware of others because I know what it’s like. But the FDA approving it did make me feel better about my decision.” 

While other GS students, like freshmen Austin Owens and Ashlyn Indrus, are not convinced. 

“I’ve heard a lot of negative things about it from family members,” said Indrus. “I think it came out too fast. Even though there’s a pandemic, they should just wait. 

“Yeah, I might get it, but I have to have a good reason to get it,” said Owens.

One already vaccinated student displeased with GS’ vaccine options travelled four hours across state lines to get the Pfizer vaccine, believing it was the most effective.

“I personally didn’t want to get the Moderna and I didnt like how that was the only option the school was given, so I had to travel,” said Jennifer, a senior biochemistry pre med and international student. “I had to travel to a different state to get it. I was determined. If people were skeptical about it, this gives them no reason [not to get vaccinated] now.”

The Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine, now marketed as Comirnaty (koe-mir’-na-tee) is not yet available on the GS campus; however, they are working towards making it available. GS is still offering the Moderna and Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccines.
GS, like many institutions, is offering incentives for those who want to get the Covid-19 vaccine and rewards for those who have already been fully vaccinated. To enter, find “COVID-19 Information & Resources” on your  MyGS page, and click on “COVID-19 Vaccine Drawing.”