At-home COVID-19 tests: Where to get them, how to take them

Alex Gholston, Correspondent

As cases of COVID-19 and its variants continue to rise in Bulloch County, students and locals alike can use at-home testing kits to skip the line for fast results.

These over-the-counter tests are available for purchase online or at Walgreens, CVS, and other pharmacies in Statesboro. They can also be delivered for free from USPS.

At-home COVID-19 testing kits allow for a quick turnaround – just fifteen minutes.

“Rapid antigen testing can be done at home or in-person. Specialized laboratory equipment is currently needed for PCR or molecular testing,” Georgia Southern’s medical director Dr. Brian Deloach said. “In either case, it is important that the manufacturer’s instructions for performing the test are followed and that test results are interpreted correctly.”

How accurate are these tests?

“If an antigen test is positive, you can feel confident that it is a ‘true positive,” said Dr. Deloach. “However, if the test is negative, there is still a chance that you may have the virus, especially if local transmission rates are high and you have been exposed to someone with COVID-19 and you have symptoms. In these instances, repeating the test after two days is recommended, which is why most come with two tests in the box.”

In an email sent to all students on early January, Dr. Deloach provided information on “convenient, no-cost testing options” available on GS’ Statesboro and Armstrong campuses as well as the newly revised CDC guidelines for quarantine periods recommended for individuals who test positive for COVID-19.

COVID-19 testing centers in the Forest Drive and Armstrong Center buildings do not require any prior appointment before testing. However, GS students can first register online through the COVID-19 testing link on MyGeorgiaSouthern.
For free federal COVID-19 testing kits and more resources on testing centers, visit covidtests.gov.