GSU Eagles Lose to ODU Monarchs in Overtime

Briana Corlee, Photo Editor

• The Georgia Southern Women’s Basketball team went head to head with the Old Dominion Monarchs on Thursday, January 12 in Hanner Fieldhouse.

• After the starting five players were announced, the team gathered together for a moment of encouragement.

• The game started at 6:00pm with a toss up and the back and forth began.

• Number 11, Shy Booker, scored the games first points with a layup. She is a senior this year and will graduate with a degree in management.

• Terren Ward is a junior from Jesup, Georgia who is majoring in exercise science. She pushed through the Monarch’s defenses more than once.

• The student section erupted with applause after each point or blocked shot.

• Ja’nya Love-Hill, a senior, is obviously a leader on this team. After taking the ball down, she looks for an open teammate to pass it to.

• Number 3, Terren Ward, makes a three-pointer in the first half of the game as the Eagles are ahead.

• Gus attended the game as well and interacted with the cheerleaders and fans throughout the game.

• Taya Gibson makes a layup for the Eagles in the second quarter with no chance of being blocked. She scored eight points throughout the game.

• During time-outs, the Georgia Southern cheerleaders put on a show for the Eagle’s fans consisting of cartwheels, backflips, and stunts.

• Eden Johnson, number 41, along with her teammate Simone James, number 33, hold their defensive stance against the Monarchs.

• Number 3, Terren Ward, scored 20 out of 82 points for the Eagles during their game against Old Dominion. She played her best on New Years Eve during a game against Arkansas State when she scored 40 points.

• One of the cheerleaders was lifted high above the court in a stunt that was full of Eagle spirit.

• Simone James, a junior all the way from San Diego, California, makes a layup after a rebound on defense.

• Anita Howard, the team’s head coach, has been with the Eagles for 4 years and has helped the team to earn the program’s first Sun Belt Conference tournament victory.

• Even some members of the band were at the game to play our favorite Georgia Southern anthems and help cheer on the team.

• Number 10, Le’Andrea Gillis, is a graduate student studying sport management, but has also scored 131 points this season for the Eagles.

• Terren Ward once again shoots and scores for the Eagles. She was named the Sun Belt Conference Player of the Week a few weeks ago and continues to do great on the court.

• The game went into overtime where Old Dominion eventually pulled ahead leaving the score at a disappointing 84-82 at the end of the night.