Georgia Southern Baseball team finds rhythm in the last game of Home Opener against Maryland

The day after a 6-1 loss, Southern’s Baseball team rebounded with a 7-3 victory over Maryland.

Game 1: The Eagles started strong against the Maryland Terrapins in the season’s inaugural game.

• The first run of the season for GS came during a walk with the bases loaded in the bottom of the 4th.
  • The Eagles scored another run during the bottom of the 4th on a Terrapin passed ball.
  • Josh Tate scored in the bottom of the 5th off a JD Kaiser sac fly.
  • The Terrapins would score one run in the top of the 6th, but the Eagles would match that and the score would be 4-1 Eagles.
  • Maryland would go on to score in the 7th, 8th, and 9th innings making the score 5-4 Terrapins. 
  • With a runner on second base via hit-by-pitch, a strikeout followed by a flyout would ice the game resulting in a 5-4 defeat for the Eagles.

Game 2: The Eagles struggled to get things going in the second game against the Terrapins.

• The first runs of the game came from a Terrapin home run in the top of the 3rd.
  • The Eagles scored their first run of the game on a Jarrett Brown double making the score 3-1.
  • Maryland would score 4 more runs during the 6th-9th innings resulting in a 7-1 defeat for the Eagles. 

Game 3: Despite a massive loss on Saturday, the Eagles came back with a vengeance on Sunday.

• Both teams would remain scoreless until the 3rd inning.
  • The Terrapins scored a run in the top of the 3rd and the Eagles would respond with 3 runs of their own. 
  • Luke Odden and Josh Tate had base hits that would bring in runners making the score 5-1 at the end of the 4th.
  • The Terrapins scored a pair of runs in the 7th inning.
  • Sam Blancato would respond by hitting the first home run of the season for the Eagles in the bottom of the 7th. 
  • A JD Kaiser double added one more security run making the score 7-3.
  • Ga’von Gray would come in to collect his first save of the season, and the Eagles would win 7-3.

After the Game 3 we interviewed Coach Rodney Hennon about his teams performance this series.

• Q: What was the biggest difference in the team this game compared to the first two games you all played?

A: “I thought we played well Friday night and it could have went either way. Yesterday we hurt ourselves with the free bases and struggled to get the bats going. Today we got a great pitch effort from Todd Fisher. We played good solid defense and offense. We were a little more aggressive and were able to get some big hits, did some good things on the bases and put some runs up. Overall today was the most complete game that we played and we got to continue to get better as we go.”

• Q: What is the biggest thing you guys are looking to do against Georgia Tech?

A: “The same thing everyday, show up at the ballpark regardless of who you’re playing. You’ve got to pitch, play defense, and just find a way to execute and do the little things offensively.”

What’s next:  The GS Baseball team will be back in action Tuesday, February 20th at J.I. Clements Stadium taking on Georgia Tech as part of Midweek Madness. The game starts at 6 p.m. and can be streamed on ESPN+.