SGA creates apps for students to be more plugged in to campus events

By Destiny Marira, Staff Writer

Have you ever wanted to know when the latest events on campus were going to happen, but couldn’t find the information fast enough? Well, the Student Government Association has a solution for you. SGA has created a new app that students can download on their phones to know what’s happening on campus while they’re on the go.

According to Cassian Nunez, President of the Student Government Association, “The app includes a calendar of events which is open to all student organizations. A push notification option allows us to send messages to all who download the app. A pertinent link page allows every user to click on a link that directs them to information faster.”

Nunez explained, “The app cost $1,500 and $1,000 per year for renewal. The app became available on the 25th of August. It was created to communicate more effectively with the student populace as well as to inform them of events that are happening on campus. It really is intended to be a one stop shop for all things student activity.”

In the past, students have received news about upcoming events through many different avenues. Certain events are posted on Armstrong’s main page, Student Communications emails are sent to the student body on a regular basis highlighting upcoming occasions like community outreach, job openings on campus, dorm-life, and events associated with club organizations, athletics, art, music & theatre.

A monthly calendar of events and fliers from many organizations are always posted around Armstrong for students to view. So why is this app necessary?

“The app will benefit Armstrong students as it is a modern medium of communication. Students will have easier access to a calendar of events and will be reminded of things going on around campus.” Elly Estrada, Secretary of the Student Government Association said. “Through the app we also provide the contact information for the SGA Executive board, [making] it easier for students to contact us and voice any concerns or ask any questions they might have.”

The app is both easy to access and easy to use.

“SGA has sent out an email to all students informing them about the app. We have promoted [it] on our social media sites. We have also tabled outside of the union and in front of the galley to inform students about the app,” Estrada said. “We have been giving away SGA goodies when students show us that they have downloaded the app. We plan on having a table in front of the galley again this week, on the 16th and 17th where we will keep promoting and we will have giveaways.”

When asked about the SGA app, third year english major T’keyah Dennis replied, “I don’t know much about it, except that you are supposed to be able to download it to certain phones. Once downloaded, you should be able to see the event calendar…I think. I wasn’t able to download it to my phone to check out the app.”

Whether you have questions about the app, have trouble downloading it to your phone, or just want to know more about the Student Government Association, SGA is always available to  answer your questions at their office in the Student Union D234; they can also be reached at sga@armstrong.edu.