Undiscovered Treasures, Southern Adventures offers affordable trips

Ashlee Gilley

Do you have dreams of going on grand adventures with your friends, but just can’t seem to fit it into your budget? You’re in luck, because GSU offers many affordable trips that you may not have known about.

In certain places around campus there are little stickers stating “Your student fees at work,” this is exactly how Southern Adventures keeps their trips so affordable. You might be wondering to yourself ‘what do they consider affordable?’well, there are trips for every budget with the prices ranging from $15 to $250.

Just in case you aren’t sold already, to make it even bettet, he cost of the trip not only secures your spot but also pays for the equipment usage and in some cases a meal. Now that I have your attention, I bet you’re wondering what kind of trips are available.

The variety of trips offered is sure to catch the interest of most students, unless you just don’t like being outdoors. They offer trips such as canoeing, backpacking, kayaking, skiing and much, much more.

Wait, what if you don’t have any experience doing outdoor activities? “It’s a no experience necessary kind of thing,” Gene Sherry, executive director of campus recreation and intramurals said.

In my interview with him he said skill building is a huge part of the trips, and each trip is headed by an experienced staff member as well as a student assistant. So, even if you are extremely inexperienced you have the opportunity to learn those new skills in a safe environment.

Sherry said this is a great way for students to broaden their horizons, meet new people and that they have overwhelmingly positive feedback.

Whether you go on the trips alone or with a friend you are bound to meet some new people. The intimate group size of 8 to 10 people allows for a better chance to get to know the other trip goers as well.

Though the main reason for the small group size is to support the idea of ‘leave no trace’. Leave no Trace is a campaign that promotes respecting the environment and lessening the impact you have on the outdoors.

If you would like to know what trips are available they post a trip schedule at the beginning of each semester. You can view the types of trips and the prices to make your decision at http://recreation.georgiasouthern.edu/southern-adventures/adventure-trips/.

The limited space, highly affordable cost and the types of trips cause these trips to sell out fast. If you are interested in one you should go to Southern Adventures and sign up in person as soon as possible.

You can contact the Southern Adventures Program directors Spenser Herkelman and Michael Willet either through email or at 912-478-5436.

Other Benefits Offered by Southern Adventures

If you and a group of friends want to go on a trip by yourselves and you either don’t know where to go, or don’t have the money to buy all sorts of equipment the staff at Southern Adventures can help you out.

They can offer not only well-informed advice, but they can rent you equipment for extremely affordable prices. For example, if you were to go out and buy a brand new kayak is would be anywhere from $200 to $500, but through The Bike Shop, you can rent it for just $10 for one to two days, $20 for three days, and $40 for an entire week.

If you’re wanting to go on a one time kayaking trip, or maybe just wanting to try it out the affordable prices at The Bike Shop seem like a much better deal than jumping in and paying hundreds of dollars for one.

Below are some of the other equipment and prices available:

Tents 

2-Person Tent $6 $12 $24

3-Person Tent $8 $14 $28

4-Person Tent $9 $18 $30

6-Person Tent $10 $22 $34

Tarp $4 $8 $16 

Sleeping Bags

Basic Sleeping Bag $4 $8 $16

Sleeping Pad (Foam or Insulite) $1 $2 $4

Sleeping Pad (Inflatable) $2 $4 $8 

Other 

Crashpad $5 $10 $15

Lantern (Propane) $3 $6 $9

Compass $1 $2 $4

Backpack $4 $8 $16

Those are just a few of the available equipment rentals, and on their website they have pictures to give you a visual idea as to what each item is/looks like. If you are unsure as to what you are going to need the staff at Southern Adventures can help you out with that as well.

They can help you plan trips, figure out locations, and even give you advice about how to go about camping in certain areas. Another useful service they provide is a section of links helpful how to videos on YouTube.

If you rent the equipment and then realize you aren’t exactly sure how to mount that bike rack onto your car, or how to use the two-burner stove just head over to their equipment page and scroll down to the bottom to find them.

If you have any additional questions you can either visit Southern Adventures at the location inside the RAC or call them at 912-478-5436.

Southern Adventures Hours are posted below in a chart taken from their website.

Fall & Spring Hours

Monday – Thursday: 1 p.m. – 7 p.m.

Friday: 10 a.m. – 6 p.m.

Saturday: 9 a.m. – 12 p.m.

Sunday: Closed 

Meg Elwood contributed to this article.