Lady Eagles fall in season opener

Casey Cargle

The Georgia Southern University women’s basketball team put up a fight against the Auburn University Tigers, but fell short on Saturday.

Senior guard MiMi DuBose lead the Eagles putting up 15 points accompanied with seven rebounds and five assists, while junior guard Anna Claire Knight racked up 14 points. Sophomore guard Alexis Sams ended the night with 11 points and five rebounds, and sophomore forward/center Briana Jones recorded 10 points with nine rebounds in her GSU debut.

“I loved how we came out with such fire and intensity, we really took it at them for a full 40 minutes,” head coach Chris Vozab said.

However these efforts could not secure a victory against the Tigers.  With great performances like senior guard Tyrese Tanner’s 17 points, seven rebounds and five assists, and senior center Peyton Davis’ 15 points and 11 rebounds, it was hard for the Eagles to come back in the second half.

GSU cut down the 13-point second half deficit to just five with consecutive free throws from freshman guard Angel McGowan, but the Eagles could not close the gap thanks to an 8-0 Auburn run sparked by sophomore forward/center Tra’Cee Tanner, giving the Tigers back a 13-point lead.

The Eagles downfall would be the 16 turnovers throughout the game, but only four occurred during the second half, which shows GSU came out a little flat footed in the first half.

“We did go a little flat there [in the first half], we made a couple mistakes but the good thing was that we just kept fighting and ended up shorting that lead again,” Knight said.

The first half started out in a back-and-forth battle. While up 14-12, Auburn had a 13-1 run to create a 14-point lead. The dry spell was ended when Sams put up a triple from the wing, which ignited a 7-0 stretch for the Eagles.

Dubose drained a three from the wing to bring the deficit to just 6 (29-23) and continued to score the last seven points in the half for the Eagles. Auburn would go into halftime with a 34-27 lead.

The Lady Eagles, however, could not rebound from their deficit in the second half as they were outscored 35-32 resulting in a 10-point loss 69-59.

GSU’s next game will be tomorrow at 11 a.m. as they travel to No. 7 Kentucky. The Eagles home schedule will open against Jacksonville State University on Nov. 16 at 5:30pm.