GSU Idol: where musical dreams come true.

Jeff Licciardello

Snow White serenaded the wildlife, Belle belted to the furniture, Ariel audaciously shared her dreams and, on Nov. 4, 10 lucky students will compete to be the next GSU Idol.

The event is presented by the University Programming Board in collaboration with the Student Government Association and will take place at 7 p.m. in the Russell Union Ballroom. Tickets are $5 in advance or $7 at the door and can be purchased from the SGA office in Russell Union or at the Williams Center.

“GSU Idol is just like the show American Idol except showcasing the talent we have here on our campus,” Renesha Johnson, publicity coordinator for SGA and junior finance and economics major, said. “There are a good variety of performers and since this year’s homecoming theme is the ‘Magical World of Georgia Southern’ many of the song choices we will be using are Disney themed.”

GSU Idol will feature 10 contestants that were selected through an audition process.

The event consists of three rounds. The first round features a song of the participant’s choice and will be scored not just by the panel of five judges consisting of students and staff, but also by the audience.

The judges will select four contestants to move on in the competition and the audience, by donating money to the performer’s bucket of their choice, will vote for the fifth person to advance to the next round. The second round of the competition requires the performers to sing a Disney song of their choice. Two students will advance to the final round, in which they will perform a final Disney song selected for them, Azell Francis, vice president for academic affairs of SGA and first year graduate student, said.

Prizes will be given to the first place winner, second place and audience’s choice. The GSU Idol winner will also have the opportunity to sing at the DOO-DAH Dance & Step Show competition. Homecoming points will also be given to those who attend, Johnson said.

All of the proceeds from ticket sales and audience donations will go to the United Way of Southeast Georgia. Last year, SGA raised $2,155 for United Way from GSU Idol and ‘Pass the Bucket’ at senate meetings.

Francis said, ” The contestants have some amazing voices. People should come prepared for a night of magic.”