Our View: Campus safety relies on the individual

Board of Opinions

Georgia Southern University’s campus is dealing with an increase in the pedestrian population and the struggles that accompany it. With the ever-growing student population of GSU putting strain on the infrastructure of the university, the university and its police department are working to find a solution. More crosswalks have been added, but that cannot solve all of the spatial and right-of-way confusion that happens with a large number of pedestrians, cyclists and vehicles occupying the same space.

The ultimate responsibility for campus safety lies on the individual. Each individual is responsible for his or her own safety and needs to take the necessary precautions and steps to stay safe. For example, crossing the road right in front of a curve or a hill can prevent cars from seeing a pedestrian in time to stop. Simply using the cross walks can prevent dangerous situations from even occurring.

Cyclists also need to learn and obey the rules. Bicyclists are not even supposed to be on the Pedestrium, according to GSU Police Chief Michael Russell. Cyclists should keep in mind, although they are moving faster than pedestrians, they do not have the right of way.

Those students that drive cars also need to be defensive. Even though the campus speed limit is only 25 miles per hour, not paying attention to the road for a second or two to send a text message or any other distracting activity can lead to an accident. Every student and individual at GSU is capable of preventing an accident. The responsibility to keep campus safe lies on the individual.