Ozempic: Helpful or Harmful?

What’s new: The weight loss drug Ozempic has been on the rise since its FDA approval in 2017, patients and doctors do not understand the full scope of this drug’s positive and negative effects.

• “Ozempic is FDA-Approved for the treatment of Type 2 diabetes and to decrease the risk of heart attack, stroke or death in adults with Type 2 diabetes or known heart disease,” said Angela Gerguis, medical director of Health Services at Georgia Southern.

• In 2022, nine million people were prescribed Ozempic, Wegovy according to NBC.

Why it matters: “I believe this medication is a long overdue game-changer in the management of obesity,” said Gerguis. “Obesity is a chronic medical condition that requires treatment addressing multiple aspects, including lifestyle behaviors and even one’s mindset regarding food.”

• On average patients experienced weight loss of 9.6-17.4% body weight in trials by a little over one year, Gerguis said.

• “My experience taking Ozempic has been very good,” said Tammy Tyson. “I haven’t had any of the side effects that I’ve read or heard about.”

• The side effects of Ozempic include nausea, vomiting, increased belching, indigestion/GERD, gas, and stool transit changes (some persons may experience diarrhea, others constipation) according to Gerguis.

What’s next: One of Ozempic’s key functions is suppressing the chemicals in your brain that trigger hunger. This is beneficial for patients who have appetites larger than what their body needs to function.  If the appetite is so suppressed that the patient is not taking in enough nutrients to satisfy the body’s basic needs, it can be unhealthy. For instance, those who are not obese or those with eating disorders should be cautious if they take Ozempic.