Our View: Summertime is great for supporting ‘Boro business

Board of Opinions

It might be summertime in Statesboro, but that does not mean that students do not have the chance to get involved and support local businesses.  While there might be several businesses that are close to campus, there are also many enticing eateries and events in Statesboro.  Downtown has seen the addition of several restaurants, and with the majority of the student body absent, now is the opportune time to check out the menu and taste the local restaurants.

Several restaurants and sports bars host local fundraisers, such as the Stirrup Some Fun that took place at GATA’s Sports Bar and Grill on Saturday.  It is important to give back to the organizations that support and donate to Georgia Southern University, and summer is the perfect time to enjoy a delicious meal and a cold drink to escape the heat and support the various causes supported by local businesses.

The Averitt Center for the Arts also has several programs and shows that take place over the summer, including “The Jungle Book” and “The King and I,” which are performed over the summer.  If you enjoy the arts, the Averitt Center is a great way to see the more creative side of Statesboro.

The Farmer’s Market that takes place every Saturday provides locals and students alike with the opportunity to buy locally grown vegetables, fresh-baked bread and other homemade goodies.  If saving money and eating healthy is important, then the Farmer’s Market is a great way to get the most bang for your buck.  Statesboro has more to offer than just GSU and The University Plaza, so take a trip into the heart of Statesboro and make the most of your summer.