New senators sworn in at SGA meeting

Nathan Woodruff

STATESBORO —At their weekly Wednesday meeting at 6:30 p.m. in the Russell Union, new Senators for the Student Government Association were sworn in.

Senator Amare Mcjolly, freshman choral music education major, who represents the college of arts and humanities, said that he was excited to represent his peers.

“I think there are a lot of issues that us as freshmen can already see coming in to Georgia Southern,” Mcjolly said. “I feel good about being able to talk about those issues, and getting them resolved.”

McJolly said that class loads, and  graduating on time while still maintaining a reasonable course load were issues that he hoped to address on behalf of his peers.

“I know I’m a music education major and right now I have 12 classes as a beginning freshman, so that’s kind of a lot for us,” McJolly said. “Our advisor actually told us we should take summer classes if we wanted to graduate on time, and I feel like if we are doing one degree, as a bachelor’s we shouldn’t have to take summer classes to finish in four years, so just trying to get the course load down is my goal.”

Senator Ayanna Brewton, sophomore psychology major, representing the college of behavioral and social sciences  said being involved and representing her community and college was her goal.

“I am just ready to be a voice for the students on the campus and for my college specifically, and to just be more active in the community of Statesboro and the university,” Brewton said. “I will be looking into the issues and if anyone has any issues they would like to address feel free to come to me and I will be ready to address it.” 

Ken Gassiot, Ph.D., also discussed the meet and greet with law enforcement at 5:30 today in the Nessmith-Lane ballroom.

“This is a relationship and community building opportunity,” Gassiot said. “I really encourage as many people from student government or students in general to go.”

More information regarding the meet and greet can be found here.

Nathan Woodruff, The George-Anne Managing News Editor, gaeditor@georgiasouthern.edu