A Harry Potter Magical Mocktail Recipe: Butterbeer

Among many great things our generation was blessed with, J.K. Rowling’s “Harry Potter” phenomena was one of them. It ignited a sense of wonder and a passion for reading among young children that lasted many well into their adolescence and adulthood. Some of us are self-proclaimed “Potterheads,” who traded our fake lightning scar tattoos for real life Deathly Hallows tattoos. Others are closeted nerds who cursed the thick, colorful book covers that made it that much more difficult to hide. Either way, it there’s no denying the impact the franchise had on the millennial generation.
One of the more entertaining aspects of the novels were the wonderful, magical foods; pumpkin juice, cauldron cakes, licorice wands, chocolate frogs that actually jump, candy floss that defeats its own purpose, sugar quills to provide yet another distraction during class.
Following in the footsteps of the jellybean company, JellyBelly, who brought to life the disgusting yet intriguing Bertie Botts Every Flavoured Beans, we decided to bring another popular magical treat to life: Butterbeer.
Butterbeer, the wizarding world’s version of Coca-Cola, has millions of people around the world reading the books and wishing they too could sit in the Three Broomsticks and enjoy one with their classmates. Well, the Three Broomsticks pub may be fictional, but the drink doesn’t have to be. We found this recipe, allowing us to take the fictional beverage into a nonfictional treat.
It is also perfect timing in honor of the newest book being released. Make sure you have the perfect potion ready when you crack open the book for first time and re-enter the magical realm all over again.
[accordion title=”Butterbeer Mocktail” close=”0″]Ingredients:
IBC Cream soda
Imitation butter extract
Heavy whipping cream
Vanilla extract
Sugar
Directions:
Add 1 tbsp of imitation butter extract to the bottom of each glass
Pour the cream soda ON TOP of the extract. Most likely will not need to mix.

Mix 2 cups heavy whipping cream, 6 tbsp of sugar, 2 teaspoon vanilla extract, and 1 ½ tsp of imitation butter with an electric mixer.
Add whipped cream topping to each drink
Serves 6[/accordion]
Voila! Magic

Photos: courtesy of Cristen Gullatt